importing pieces into rbd

2116   4   0
8 posts
Hi,

Still trying to learn Houdini and I cant even complete a simple cracking box (

I have a box with some points scattered on it, the a group using bounding sphere to group the points inside it to feed into a voroni fracture that the fractures the box. With the bounding sphere growing in radius it gives a simple cracking animation.

What i cant get to happen correctly is importing this into the dynamics to simulate the cracked pieces.

Im convinced the are being grouped correctly into piece* groups but im at a loss of how to get them to be dynamic rbds (

I have attached the file of what i have so far if anyone would like to have a look

Any help would be massively appreciated

Thanks! D

Attachments:
crackingBox.hipnc (201.0 KB)

8 posts
And when I say I'm at a loss, the file does import the pieces but I'm getting some missing pieces when the cracking starts
8642 posts
I don't know how you expect dop network to handle the changing pieces you are feeding into it, especially when they get recomputed
(reindexed/refractured) each frame, but anyway
the easiest way would be prefracturing the geometry and then activating the pieces according to your spreading group

Attachments:
crackingbox_fix.hipnc (207.3 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
8 posts
Thanks for the reply,

I thought i had seen this before but maybe i just didnt understand what was happening.

Thanks for fixing the file i shall have a look at it tonight D

Cheers
37 posts
Hi tamte,

Thx for your scene.

You use an object to change attribute of points, and active the RBD by this expression : point(“../../box/OUT_active”, $OBJ, “active”, 0)

What is the expression to detect collision and active the RBD ?
iscollided() ?
isclosed ?…

Thx
  • Quick Links