Rigging and ting

3903   12   3
86 posts
Hello

There is an auto rigs tab that is not visible by default. Is it safe to assume that this is now considered legacy? Are there any plans to have more up to date auto rigs available for the future?

I was hoping to bring in some mocap data into Houdini and the docs say to use the old (huge) toon rig. Is this still considered the best way or are the crowd rigs a better place to start?

I've only just scratched the surface, I just wanted to get a general idea of how best to proceed.

Thanks
restposition.co.uk
Staff
3456 posts
the Auto Rig tools are deprecated and our plan is to re-write them from the ground up in the near future.

for mocap data - have a look at the mocapbiped1 and mocapbiped2 characters on the Character Shelf.
you may need to re-target your data, but these will give you an idea of how to bring in the data etc.

and please let us know if you have any questions or problems.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
86 posts
Splendid. Thanks for the information.

Just one more question. When you say near future do you mean H15 production build update or H16?
restposition.co.uk
Staff
3456 posts
near future is all I can say ops:
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
618 posts
since its not a secret that several developers from softimage are now working at Sesi, will be very interesting to get something similar to GEAR, the autorig created by Jeremie Passerin.

http://gear.jeremiepasserin.com/ [gear.jeremiepasserin.com]
1909 posts
I'll just be happy when the old Auto Rig dies. Be gone, vermin!!
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
86 posts
No probs. Crowd rig works fine with .BVH files. Shouldn't be too much hassle to adapt it.

Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to what you guys come up with. It goes without saying that an auto rig for all the major mocap file types would be the bees knees.
restposition.co.uk
Staff
3456 posts
Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to what you guys come up with. It goes without saying that an auto rig for all the major mocap file types would be the bees knees.

sure would…but that's not what is being built…
the new auto-rigs will replace the existing ones…and will be along the lines of Gear and other such tools.
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
618 posts
its kinda cool, instead just fixing the eternal bug of the mirror group node, we are getting a hole new set off tool LOL….
86 posts
Gear is a great place to start. Used that lots in the past. Exocortex Species has some good features for Bipeds also.
restposition.co.uk
Staff
2540 posts
pelos
its kinda cool, instead just fixing the eternal bug of the mirror group node, we are getting a hole new set off tool LOL….

Just swept through all the issues around the Mirror SOP and Mirror Object tool (please in the future identify your “node” as Object, SOP, OBJ, COP, CHOP) and I can't find any bugs to indicate the issues you are experiencing. Just what are the issues?

The current main issue with the Mirror SOP revolves around preserving crease weights when mirroring.

Michael as I are very interested in reworking the entire rigging process to reflect current state of the art techniques. He and many others are also very interested in making sure all the existing tools work as they should. This in no way precludes Michael others in Side Effects from improving workflows and fixing bugs.

As a matter of fact, now is the best time to submit RFE's and Bugs around Character rigging and animation.

Submit the bugs!
Submit the RFE's!
There's at least one school like the old school!
Staff
3456 posts
@jeff

pelos is referring to a bug in the current Auto-Rig tools
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
Staff
2540 posts
Got it and thank-you for the clarification.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links