Node Memory Stat Info

3516   3   0
665 posts
Hey Guys,

Is there a python or Hscript way to grab the the Memory usage info from a node? In particular, we have noticed some nodes like Paint/Comb can balloon a hip files disk usage.

See attached pic to see exactly what I'm after…

thanks!
-j

Attachments:
memInfo.jpg (22.8 KB)

1913 posts
I think you're probably best parsing the output of a hou.hscript(“opinfo somepath”) call and extracting the information
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
Staff
6287 posts
sopcache -v -L

Note that memory usage != disk usage.

Most nodes have incredibly small disk usage. They just store parameters. The exceptions are:

1) Locked SOPs. They store the entire geometry. If you open a file in hscript, the only SOPs that should be listed by sopcache -L -v will be locked SOPs letting you find these.

2) GDT SOPs. These store partial edit information. These are SOPs like:
Capture Layer Paint, Comb, Edit, Paint Group, Paint, Sculpt, SlideModifierPaint, UV Brush, UV Edit, UV Transform

I'm not sure offhand how to tell the size of the GDT structure. A brute force is to search for all nodes of those types and invoke opwrite on them. Then check the size of the resulting .cpio packet.

Having said that, if you are trying to debug a bloated .hip, the best option maybe just to go straight to hexpand & run a file-system file-size tool like baobab.
Staff
2598 posts
jacob clark
Hey Guys,

Is there a python or Hscript way to grab the the Memory usage info from a node? In particular, we have noticed some nodes like Paint/Comb can balloon a hip files disk usage.

See attached pic to see exactly what I'm after…

thanks!
-j

If you're intereted in disk usage, you might try
cpio -ivt < foo.hip

However, this may not work 100% correctly on all .hip files. The CPIO format has a hard limit for the size of a packet, which .hip files have a work-around for (something like 2 GB).

hexpand will work in all cases, but it will extract the contents of the .hip file (which might not always be desirable).
  • Quick Links