Consumer nVidia GPU configuration (up to 7xxx) for Houdini

49739   29   4
33 posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again, SESI is one of the few companies that care for their customers!!! (the company other being RED)
639 posts
nutman
Noooo, I didn't mean the Alt + ' thing OR that kind of a tear-off. What I meant was for JUST the OGL viewport to be independent of full screen taking up 100% of the screen real estate.

Aaah. Just like Softimage 3.x? I remember those…

Yeah, SESI rocked!
And I am so excited about H9 too!!
1192 posts
twod
This is what our current development on OpenGL rendering addresses.
Thank you!
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
2199 posts
nutman
Noooo, I didn't mean the Alt + ' thing OR that kind of a tear-off. What I meant was for JUST the OGL viewport to be independent of full screen taking up 100% of the screen real estate.

Sorry for being dim, you've lost me there. I must be completely misunderstanding what you mean. You are not just talking about having the viewport fill your entire monitor?

Attachments:
screen grab.jpg (22.2 KB)

The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
7720 posts
I think nutman means like hitting F11 in your browser (well, at least that's what F11 does on my Windows machine). Unfortunately, if the feature ever gets implemented, it'll probably look like ctrl+f in mplay.
710 posts
Btw, those problems with newer drivers and Houdini are limited to Windows I believe. I have an older GeForce 6600 and use the latest 974x drivers in Linux (this driver supports the 8800 series cards). Houdini runs fine.
2199 posts
I see, yeah it would be cool to be able to hide the timeline when modelling, its not like you need it.
2199 posts
As an interesting follow up to this thread I have managed to use this quadro-ing technique to fix the redraw slow down I was getting with Houdini running on a Vista laptop. Patched a Gefore Go 7600 to a Quadro FX 350.

Thanks Nutman
24 posts
the main difference is in how the driver treats multiple openGL contexts, with a game card resources are devoted to a single ogl pipeline, while a quadro driver optimizes for multiple pipes at the expense of speed. Maya, for instance runs terrible on a geforce due to each window is a seperate context. I would expect houdini to suffer the same slowdown when windows are torn off, but it depends on how it's coded.

point being, if nvidia just fessed up that the hardware is the same, they could perhaps justify licensing quadro driver software to run your card in a pro setting. Of course, we can assume that there is likely not a large amount of resources at nvidia to workstation development compared to game development to justify a higher price, so the get us by selling an altogether different product.

MD

nutman
It is intended MOSTLY as a fix.
Now there is a possibility you might get better OGL performance but your systems' performance will be lowered as your hardware is treated as a Quadro, not meant for gaming stuff.
2199 posts
Simon
As an interesting follow up to this thread I have managed to use this quadro-ing technique to fix the redraw slow down I was getting with Houdini running on a Vista laptop. Patched a Gefore Go 7600 to a Quadro FX 350.

Thanks Nutman

As a further follow up to this the only small artifacts I have noticed since doing this is that the point number display is a little flaky, they disappear a bit when you rotate. The axis and viewport information displayed at the edges of the viewport seem to have turn into russian or something…
finally everything goes a bit slow when the popup number scroller widget is in use (MMB on a float parameter)
  • Quick Links