Need some help finding bug in custom blendshape component. (Fixed))

943   7   2
4 posts
Decided to make a full blendshape component after watching Max Rose's video on it. Everything on the end graph is connected well and the controls work and are in the right places but the geo itself doesn't change, so I am assuming something is wrong with the blendshape node(could be wrong ofcourse). Have spend like 6 hours by now, can't find where I went wrong. Even checked against the pillow rig blendshape component and copied over some of the parm/properties dictionaries to make sure, but it still does not change. Some help would be highly appreciated.

Edit: Issue is fixed. I accidently added setPointAttribValueByname node through the component instead of Primattribvalue. I have also attached the component, incase someone wants to use it.
Different colors mean the nodes are working on different nodes in the riggraph. Darker tint of a color means it is adding/updating the node.
It needs a joint the same name as the <blendpose_primitive_name> + "_abst_ctrl" to constrain the abstract control to the correct location but if it doesn't exist then it will add it to world origin.
Edited by Another21 - March 24, 2024 11:48:53

Attachments:
blendshapes_problem.hipnc (320.6 KB)
blendshape_component.bgeo (13.3 KB)

7717 posts
Did you noticed that your Edit Graph SOP had a warning? Max Rose did his video in earlier video where Houdini was less strict about the APEX Graphs. Builds 20.0.592 [www.sidefx.com] requires that all in-place ports (ie. the ports that are square instead of circular) must have an input. The easiest way to fix this is open the General Scripts folder on the Edit Graph SOP and click on "Add Missing In-Place Input Connections".

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (46.0 KB)

4 posts
edward
The easiest way to fix this is open the General Scripts folder on the Edit Graph SOP and click on "Add Missing In-Place Input Connections".
Hello Edward, thanks for the info but unfortunately it didn't fix my problem . Either the blendshape apex node is not reading it correctly(which I don't think is the case) or my component script fails to add some crucial data somewhere. I could just use the pillow blendshape component but it dosen't make sense, both look almost exactly the same, unless my eyes are just bad

Attachments:
blendshapes_problem.hipnc (347.4 KB)

264 posts
Another21
Decided to make a full blendshape component after watching Max Rose's video on it. Everything on the end graph is connected well and the controls work and are in the right places but the geo itself doesn't change, so I am assuming something is wrong with the blendshape node(could be wrong ofcourse). Have spend like 6 hours by now, can't find where I went wrong. Even checked against the pillow rig blendshape component and copied over some of the parm/properties dictionaries to make sure, but it still does not change. Some help would be highly appreciated.

Have you checked if it works in sops? It looks like the blendshapes node has a bug and if the second parameter is zero (for the first blendshape), it doesn't work. Using a small value will make it work. That was the workaround I found, but I haven't checked if the bug was fixed.
4 posts
Hey guys, after taking some time off and going through Max's video again and again for a while I realised that one of the nodes I added through the component script was "SetPointAttribValuesByName<Float>" while it should've been a a Primattribvalue. Completely my fault here, but man was this annoying as hell🤣
Edited by Another21 - March 24, 2024 05:35:21
31 posts
Another21

I checked out your file, and everything looks like it should, but there seems to be an issue with abstract controls in that file. Even when jumping into another geo node and creating a simple abstract control, I'm getting the same error message as I get within your setup -> "AttributeError: '_apexscene.AbstractControl' object has no attribute 'r_parm'"

I've attached a example file of a working blendshape setup, check and see if it works. But in terms of why your setup isn't working, I'm really not sure why the abstract controls aren't getting the 'r_parm' attribute. Could be a bug.

Attachments:
Blendshape_only_01.hiplc (396.5 KB)
Screenshot_3.png (23.6 KB)

4 posts
Max Rose
I checked out your file, and everything looks like it should, but there seems to be an issue with abstract controls in that file. Even when jumping into another geo node and creating a simple abstract control, I'm getting the same error message as I get within your setup -> "AttributeError: '_apexscene.AbstractControl' object has no attribute 'r_parm'"

I've attached a example file of a working blendshape setup, check and see if it works. But in terms of why your setup isn't working, I'm really not sure why the abstract controls aren't getting the 'r_parm' attribute. Could be a bug.

Hey Max, big fan of your tutorials. Anyways, the issue is actually fixed, I added SetPointAttribval node instead of primattribval. Funny how a small hidden thing completely breaks it huh?. I also edited the original post but it didn't update for some reason (probably my bad internet connection).
As for the r_parm bug, I am not getting that bug anywhere, so I don't really know what it means
Edited by Another21 - March 24, 2024 11:01:28
31 posts
Didn’t see that! Oh well, glad you figured it out
  • Quick Links