Creating post surgery organs's Adhesions procedurally?

510   8   2
408 posts
I am trying to create organ's adhesions as seen in those gross attached pictures. And after 10 minutes in Houdini i realized it wasn't going to be that simple to get this nice organic look, with all the tensions between each strings of adhesions. I feel there is a bit of a challenge that might be little above my paygrade on this one. Not sure how to create attractions between points to fake "tensions" while preserving the placement of the points attached to the surface. And then surface only the outter points of those strings and ignore those inside the strings. Any pointers or real help would be more than appreciated.

Cheers,

A.
Edited by Adriano - April 19, 2024 13:01:45

Attachments:
Figure-30.3-severe-perihepatic-adhesions-1-1.png (135.8 KB)
Laparoscopic-image-showing-severe-pelvic-fibrous-adhesions-surrounding-the-uterus-and.png (33.3 KB)
10-1055-s-0033-1358804-10-1055-s-0033-1358804-i626cl2.jpg (159.5 KB)
1-s2.0-S2543343122000963-gr1.jpg (29.3 KB)
Adhesions.png (354.0 KB)
Adhesions_01.hip (446.3 KB)

181 posts
I've seen various examples of vellum based 'sticky tape' being pulled apart, which looks somewhat similar. Perhaps if you Google that you might find some direction.
Edited by Mike_A - April 19, 2024 13:07:58
408 posts
Mike_A
I've seen various examples of vellum based 'sticky tape' being pulled apart, which looks somewhat similar. Perhaps if you Google that you might find some direction.

Kind of hoping for a Sop solution, not vellum, nothing simulated. I feel it should be possible to contract (point relaxing or so) the strings in an organic curvy fashion by the center of each cluster of strings... following a Ramp fall off based on transferred UV attribute along those strings, something in that line. I"m just not quite sure how to mesh those clusters accurately yet. But i'm pretty sure it would be faster and more controllable to avoid the Vellum road.

Cheers,

A.
Edited by Adriano - April 19, 2024 14:56:11
8570 posts
you can play with Attribute Blur SOP after your Connect Adjacent
- in Group set all points except for anchor points
- uncheck Fix Border Points as for Curves all points are border points
- additionally you can control it by weight attrib
- also play with creating your connections, essentialy you probably want the adjacent connections only between lines of the same clusters or something to not have cross webbing
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
408 posts
tamte
- also play with creating your connections, essentialy you probably want the adjacent connections only between lines of the same clusters or something to not have cross webbing

Thanks Tomas, I'll give that a try. And yes you're right, i didn't correct it in that quick attempts, but definitely would avoid crossings. I figured if i can find a way to get a nice curvy (exponentially stretching) look for simple string clusters i could reuse the recipe to create more random connections between the extreme bits of those strings clusters to get some more variations attaches to the organs. Perhaps even get those circular looking membranes in between some of the clusters.

But how would you mesh that mess of adjacent connected points eventually? I tried vdb, but i feel in order to get thin details i would have go crazy on the amount of points. Anything that allows to create poly only on the outter shape of that structure?

Thanks a bunch.

A.
Edited by Adriano - April 19, 2024 17:08:17
181 posts
Polybridge SOP with a curved spline for the bridge?
Possibly followed by Deltamush for smoothing.
Edited by Mike_A - April 19, 2024 17:14:09
408 posts
Mike_A
Polybridge SOP with a curved spline for the bridge?

That sounds like a good approach for the core of this structure. I'd have to give a try from that angle too. Cheers.
408 posts
tamte

Definitely getting a little more interesting. Just not quite sure yet how to create polys in between those lines by proximity or by clusters of strings. Guess next step is to transfer the cluster / strings attributes and use that to add polygons. Again, any pointers appreciated. I like the way this is going so far. The main structure is almost there.

Thanks a bunch,

A.
Edited by Adriano - April 19, 2024 22:58:54

Attachments:
Adhesions_02.hip (477.4 KB)
strings2.png (632.6 KB)
strings3.png (576.2 KB)

117 posts
In Houdini you don't even need solver or simulation In Dop's
Check also qLib otl Set, you have Nice setup for crazy Web , that you can manipulable to make some Nice Membrane .

But with different approach I think Also best solution its with poly_bridge.
Edited by cncverkstad - April 20, 2024 07:32:57

Attachments:
677.gif (3.4 MB)
fd7.jpg (249.0 KB)
Adhesions_02Fun.hipnc (496.2 KB)

Conservation of Momentum
  • Quick Links