script to load a file of cube size, coordinates?

2437   1   0
68 posts
Is there a python script available or would somebody like to make one that would allow reading of a cube xyz size and cube xyz location to place cubes in a scene? I wrote/modified an existing VB program that will essentially create random sized/location of cubes through an input range without intersecting themselves and haven't had the time to get an import type script/program for any 3D software package I have used. The program outputs two text files, one that has the XYZ size value of each cube and another that has the XYZ center location of each cube. I will provide the progam for free if anyone is interested in getting Houdini to import in the data somehow. I am new to houdini but it looks like the package should be able to do it. I originally wrote the program to be used with Caligari truespace in C++ but I wanted to make it so that it could be used by other 3d programs. Granted this could probably be done some other way within Houdini. I have used it for abstracts and basic city mockups. Of course the program will probably have to be modified to match up with the XYZ paradigm of houdini for it to work correctly.

Here is an image of the program and the output files:

Staff
3456 posts
have a look at the .chan file format

.chan
Houdini ASCII channel format containing raw values in rows and columns.

This information is written out into the file as ascii text, one row per frame of data, and one column per channel. The file contains specific information regarding channel names, sample rates etc. This format can be imported or exported from the Houdini channel editor (and is even compatible with old action channel formats).

looks like you program is outputting almost exactly that…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links