Help system woes

7513   12   1
119 posts
Would anyone be able to help me figure out how I buggered up my help system?
Sadly deleting ~/houdini9.0 didn't work

This started a good number of builds ago after I tried a daily build and I just assumed it was related to that and it would be fixed. But alas I'm still getting these message boxes instead of a help browser. I've attached screenshots.

I'm using openSuse 10.2 amd64.

The help system works on another machine also running opensuse 10.2 and the latest build (as of yesterday anyway: 7.0.790), so I'm sure it's something bizarre that is conflicting with houdini here and not a problem with houdini itself.

thanks!

Attachments:
help_error3.png (7.2 KB)
help_error2.png (7.1 KB)
help_error.png (16.2 KB)

519 posts
Seems it is trying to access port 0…not a good port to connect to…try port 48626 aka http//localhost48626
119 posts
sorry, I should have mentioned that the images in the post are in reverse chronological order. That is, the bottom one appears, then the middle, then the top.

I think the second errors are results of whatever that first error is all about.
519 posts
Bah that's cheating with bugs! And i thought i had a simple answer ) Installed the latest greatest here and it works fine here (792). Maybe you could check if there are some instances of the help still running in the background (with pstree -pa)?
119 posts
Nope. It's been rebooted a good number of times since the problem began.

I'm wondering if it could be a 64-bit 32-bit issue. I'm using a 32bit version of firefox so that I can has pluginz (sorry hehe). perhaps I'll investigate this further.
63 posts
Did you try deleting the .hbrowser folder? I remember an issue with the help browser hanging and deleting that folder fixed it (this was on windows though). Since then, every time I install a new build, before starting H I delete this directory.
119 posts
still didn't work. I got really excited there for a second though. haha.

I can use the help browser to check out external sites however. So I'm guessing this narrows my problem down the help server not being able to start for some reason.

Anyone know a way I can hotwire that at the command line and perhaps get some better information?
63 posts
what happens if you try to run manually the start_server.py script?
119 posts
hython $HH/houdini/scripts/python/start_server.py:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “start_server.py”, line 4, in <module>
import textbook.server as server
File “/opt/houdini/houdini/scripts/python/textbook/server.py”, line 12, in <module>
import data.index as index
File “/home/prisms/builder-new/Nightly9.0/dev/src/houdini/help/textbook/data/index.py”, line 7, in <module>
File “/usr/lib64/python2.5/sqlite3/__init__.py”, line 24, in <module>
from dbapi2 import *
File “/usr/lib64/python2.5/sqlite3/dbapi2.py”, line 27, in <module>
from _sqlite3 import *
ImportError: No module named _sqlite3
119 posts
Installing the “python-sqlite” package didn't fix this either.

So when I run python on my problem machine and try to import sqlite3 I get the error.
However, on my other machine it imports fine.

I'll dig into this some more.

Thanks
119 posts
AH HA!

LD_LIBRARY_PATH was out of order! I only had 32bit lib directories in there. An oversight from migrating my homespace from a 32bit machine to my current 64bit machine.

Got it working now on this machine. However I have a vanilla 32-bit install that has the same problem of which I only now just noticed. Also opensuse 10.2. Getting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in order hasn't helped so far either. In all cases these were a network install. I wonder if there isn't a problem with the python package.
519 posts
With the latest build .979 getting the following errors when opening help:

- req.status=500
- start.Toc:Typeerror: kids has no properties

Then you get the normal help page. Seems that one is working normally but when trying to use search this happens:
- find:..[Exception "component and then a lot more about mozilla/nssearch etc
- then a message: no object return for page 1
63 posts
Pagefan
With the latest build .979 getting the following errors when opening help … "

Yup, happens here as well Additionally, there seems to be some serious issues with the windows build - the gui hangs extremely often whenever floating panes (of any kind - channel editor, op type properties, etc) are resized larger than they appear initially, or whenever one tries to maximize them.
  • Quick Links