accessing attribute using poppoint

7512   4   1
319 posts
You fellow Houdini lovers,

Why can't I echo out my attribute via the textport using the poppoint expression? It returns 0 every time…?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dean.

Attachments:
poppoint.hip (38.1 KB)

85 posts
Well it says in the exhelp that only works in a pop node. So it may be the reason why it doesnt work in the Textport. I modified your hip file by adding a new attr POP and using the poppoint expr and if you check the spreadsheet, it will work.

Attachments:
poppoint_168.hip (42.1 KB)

319 posts
Someone said that to me but surely if you have cd'd into a pop node within the textport that fulfills that requirments? You're echoing from the pop node, no?
Staff
1072 posts
Dean_19
Someone said that to me but surely if you have cd'd into a pop node within the textport that fulfills that requirments? You're echoing from the pop node, no?

No, poppoint can only be executed while cooking a POP node. POP nodes, unlike SOP nodes, do not contain a copy of the geometry, so unless it's being cooked, a POP node has no knowledge about the geometry that it might have processed.
319 posts
Ah that makes sense, seeing as a pop network is only really ‘there’ and accessable when it's currently being cooked.

Thanks!
  • Quick Links