export FBX to modo problem..?!

14049   12   1
120 posts
Hello,
i have a big problem..

i have a animation in Houdini, if export this in modo..
all my object with dynamic in houdini are not animed in modo…
if i move a object in houdini frame by frame and export in FBX, in modo it's ok… but not if my move is managed by the dynamic of houdini…

please, it's very important…
someone has an idea?!

thanks
350 posts
Hi,

Which version of Houdini are you using? There was a bug fixed recently which caused some deforming objects to be exported without any animation. Please try version 9.5.189 or later to see if this problem has already been fixed.
Oleg Samus
Software Developer
Side Effects Software Inc.
120 posts
ok, i try

thanks
120 posts
heu… where i can download..
houdini aprentice is onli 9.5.170

i have buy houdini there is 3 day…
but i don't know where i can download…
350 posts
You can find all the downloads on this page:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_download&Itemid=208 [sidefx.com]

Please scroll down below to the “Daily Builds” section. The latest available is 9.5.192.
Oleg Samus
Software Developer
120 posts
ok, i have try..
but i'ts always the same problem..

my object with dynamics in houdini are not animat in modo…

have you an idea?

thanks
350 posts
Well, the problem could be either in Houdini exporter or in Modo importer.
To test this, you can import the FBX file you have exported back into Houdini - if it imports correctly with animation, then it's probably something on Modo's end.

Also, can you attach the Houdini file you are trying to export? This way I can take a look and see exactly where things go wrong.
Oleg Samus
Software Developer
120 posts
ok, i send you my file..

but it's a simple file for try…

i take a cube, a apply “RBD object”
i create a plane, i apply “static object”

i export this in fbx

i importe in modo, when i play this fbx, nothing pass..
only my cube and my plane static

but if i deplace my cube in houdini frame by frame, i export in fbx and i open in modo, my animation frame by frame works well…

if i import my fbx into houdini, it's ok… then it's modo?

Attachments:
cube_demo.hip (95.2 KB)

350 posts
Thanks for the file.

I've tested it with 9.5.195, and it seems to work fine for me. It imports properly both back into Houdini, as well as into Maya, so it looks like the problem may be on Modo's end.

To export dynamics, Houdini uses vertex caches, which essentially store frame-by-frame vertex positions of an object (in this case the cube and the grid) in separate files.

It sounds like Modo is importing the FBX file itself, but is ignoring vertex caches on it, which would explain why you get the actual geometry in with no animation on it.
Oleg Samus
Software Developer
20 posts
i have to ask what version of Modo imports fbx. I know the current version is importing Mdd files.
618 posts
you have to MDD the file,
FBX have some information apply to it, but not all,
you will have to (in modo) to load the objects and then apply the mmd file on it so you can get the dynamic motion of Houdini.

this is very similar workflow between Messiah Studio and other applications.
122 posts
oleg
Thanks for the file.

I've tested it with 9.5.195, and it seems to work fine for me. It imports properly both back into Houdini, as well as into Maya, so it looks like the problem may be on Modo's end.

To export dynamics, Houdini uses vertex caches, which essentially store frame-by-frame vertex positions of an object (in this case the cube and the grid) in separate files.

It sounds like Modo is importing the FBX file itself, but is ignoring vertex caches on it, which would explain why you get the actual geometry in with no animation on it.

hi , i'm testing this using 9.5.230 mac and have no luck. Importing back to Houdini fail, there's no animation. import using Modo and Maya also fail. I found out the 9.5.170 is better, even it couldn't import fbx using maya/modo but at least the importing back to houdini is working fine.
350 posts
metaclay
hi , i'm testing this using 9.5.230 mac and have no luck. Importing back to Houdini fail, there's no animation. import using Modo and Maya also fail. I found out the 9.5.170 is better, even it couldn't import fbx using maya/modo but at least the importing back to houdini is working fine.
Can you post the Houdini scene you are exporting to FBX?
Oleg Samus
Software Developer
  • Quick Links