One HD license to use on two computers?

3320   3   0
68 posts
I have a mac mini with a core2 and a PC with an opteron 165….I have done tests between the two and the mac running OSX X is faster than the mac running windows which is faster than my opteron 165. Faster in rendering. The problem is I just use the mac mini for programming and will not be spending a large amount of money to get anything with reallly good power. However I will probably get a Phenom II quad within the year…so the question is what to do…what to do. Is is possible for one HD license to be used on a mac and a PC? In other words can I transfer the license from one maching to the other…or can I have it installed on both machines and only run one at any given time? Just asking because I want to figure out what license to get, if I assume it's locked to a specific computer. Thanks for any input.
Edited by - April 18, 2009 12:35:23
1631 posts
Check out the Apprentice HD FAQ [sidefx.com].

Cheers!
steven
68 posts
ok, read it.

Considering that my future hardware purchases will be pc versus mac, I will just get the HD license for pc. I can just use the apprentice non-HD on the mac and save the file and load it up on the windows if I want the added benefits of HD. Thanks.

My question then turns to what happens when I get my upgraded pc. How do I transfer the license over? Can I just email or do I have to call in? Anyone with experience on that scenario? I can't imagine it not occuring.

(EDIT) Nevermind, refined my search and found the answer.
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=13326&highlight=node+locked [sidefx.com]
57 posts
Relax. All you have to do is go into the license manager and click “return license” then go your new machine just re-install your licenses. You can only do that 3 times but the intention is to allow to upgrade your hardware.
  • Quick Links