Copy SOP and groups

5090   8   1
66 posts
I'm trying to copy some geometry(say, pre-built floor of the building) with Copy SOP for further demolition with RBD, and ran into a problem with grouping: Copy SOP actually does not copies all the groups from the source for each copy, it just adds all the copied primitives into the same groups, making DOPs think, that, say, all the tables on all the floors is a single object, which is obviously not what i want.

Is there any way to copy all the groups together with geometry?
wbr, Mudvin
345 posts
Group elements by colour (prim attribute). After copySOP recreate groups with the partitionSOP - colour expression from the pull down menu.
242 posts
Mudvin
I'm trying to copy some geometry(say, pre-built floor of the building) with Copy SOP for further demolition with RBD, and ran into a problem with grouping: Copy SOP actually does not copies all the groups from the source for each copy, it just adds all the copied primitives into the same groups, making DOPs think, that, say, all the tables on all the floors is a single object, which is obviously not what i want.

Are you using the “Create output groups” or stamping?

Here are a few examples.

Attachments:
copyGroups.hipnc (53.8 KB)

66 posts
kuba: i think we will have the same problem here - dynamic solver gonna count equally colored objects on different floors as a single object.

mawi: thanks for examples, but i think single sphere not gonna work here. Imagine, there's merge of 4 sphere with different group names fed into copy sop, and somehow not only geometry, but also groups have to be copied by copy sop. Workaround is to recreate all those groups again in copy sop result, but the problem is that houdini counts the sides and caps of shattered pieces as a separate objects.

example scene attached.

Attachments:
break_test_c.hipnc (214.1 KB)

wbr, Mudvin
678 posts
Just by looking at your scene I think stamping is the solution (like in mavi's file) but maybe I misunderstood something. So in your example you will get 12 groups instead of 6.

Attachments:
break_test_c_107.hipnc (219.3 KB)

66 posts
swann: seems that your scene is exactly what i want, but i'm still don't understand how it works - help description for copy stamping is a bit vague.
wbr, Mudvin
678 posts
Thats a good start http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=881&Itemid=254 [sidefx.com].
66 posts
Ok, thanks for answers guys.
wbr, Mudvin
1 posts
mawi
Mudvin

Are you using the “Create output groups” or stamping?

Here are a few examples.
thanks
Новости ралли на сайте wrc news [wrc-info.ru]
  • Quick Links