Tx Toolkit

6907   6   4
137 posts
Hi everybody,

I've finally took some free time to create a bunch of videos that explain how to use a set of custom tools called “Tx Toolkit” that I created for Houdini.

I'm going to release the otls very soon but I still need to update the help and figure out how I'm gonna distribute these. Currently almost every HDA is saved inside its own otl. I've got a script called from a menu to install and manage the updates. The reason why I'm dealing with a separate otl per hda is to avoid breaking a hip file that need just one tool to be updated. If other tools have had upgrade inside the otls, the hip file could potentially stop working as expected.

However I think for the community it's better to have only one otl that includes them all. What do you think?

Go at www.trinix.ca under “Tx Toolkit”.

Have fun!

François
460 posts
Great stuff Francois
I'm looking at the videos, looks awesome

release them !!

and I also like to pack each tool in a separate otl file, seems more logical to me

thanks
varomix - Founder | Educator @ Mix Training
Technical Artist @ Meta Reality Labs
330 posts
hi François ,

first of all thank you for generosity . respect !!
appreciate also the fact that you spent some time to make the videos for those .

beside the ‘usefulness’ of having those tools , i find very useful also ( at the same level of importance ) see the ‘logic behind’ . houdini is an amazing 3d-environment because of this fact too . personally i have been using houdini from some time and i have in mind also to find some time to convert some project's solutions to otl-s . i think houdini needs a more active sharing community simply because sharing and flexibility are its strongest weapons .

anyway , enough with my ‘lustre and despair’ sandwich

back to your question :

imho , separate otl / hda is the best way . for several reasons . ( e.g. partially use / combine those with other tools or assets )

.cheers
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
237 posts
Seperate Otls are best.

you may want to use vimeo to host your videos as they are not comming down quickly.
Robert Kelly
137 posts
meshsmooth
you may want to use vimeo to host your videos as they are not comming down quickly.

Good idea. I've started to put them on Vimeo. I should finish tomorrow because I've reached the maximum upload today.

François
137 posts
Sorry for the delay. The tools are now available inside a zip file. Each asset is in a separate otl. In fact there are 29 otls but a few of them have 2-3 assets because they are meant to work together. Every node has the a help card.

Have fun and don't hesitate to show me what you do with the tools.

François
87 posts
Vimeo is only good if you have a Pro account, if not the videos will not be HD and harder to look at than QuickTimes…

Alex
  • Quick Links