Caching issue

2485   4   0
26 posts
Hi,
I have tried to set variable (TMP - I:\temp) inside of aliases and variable option but still houdini is creating temp cache in my windows C: drive which is too tiny for large resolution.
does anyone know this issue?

Thanks
7743 posts
It's recommended to set the HOUDINI_TEMP_DIR environment variable *outside* of Houdini.

PS. Only use forward slashes.
26 posts
Thanks edward

there is another prob. I have cached both low and up res and then i closed houdini. so, eventually i lost all the temp hfs cache which is something i dont need. and when i restarted houdini and started rendering my scene the renderer is cooking temp hfs and rendering at the same time. i dont understand like what was the purpose to write low and up res and to load from disk when the renderer also needs to write temp files at run time.
does it means that without closing houdini, we sim at the same time and render at the same time?
although, i have tried disable simulation for scrubbing
7743 posts
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Perhaps try starting a separate thread? Have you you seen the masterclass on Pyro?
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1496&Itemid=132 [sidefx.com]
26 posts
Hi Edward

Earlier i was trying to say that i have my low and up res cache and its checked but when i render the scene, (the renderer, at the time of rendering) it re calculates or cook the simulation again instead of using the same cache files as a source to render.

I have looked at the tutorial; its ok but it was more down to theories than practical. although, informative.

thanks
  • Quick Links