How do I set up project files directory?

7536   7   0
27 posts
Excuse my ignorance of Houdini, but im very new to Houdini and also an ex Maya user. I'm having trouble figuring out the “Houdini” way of creating/setting up my project directory. The “Maya” way I would go about doing it is open Maya, create a new scene and then go to File > Project Window > then pick the folder i want to set up my directory to and hit > NEW and Maya would set up all the subfolders that i would ever need to that directory and all i had to do when i opened Maya next time was set my scene. Is there something ive missed in one of the tutorials or does Houdini not require this and you can just save stuff where ever you please?
133 posts
Houdini is not particular about your directory structure for project files. These include geometry, sim data, etc. Most studios decide on a convention and let their pipeline dept hook it up. One of the nice things about 12.5, though, is that the ROPs (Render Operators) now have an option to automatically create ‘intermediate’ directories. So, if your directory doesn't exist, they'll get created for you.

However, there are some directories that houdini will look for to find certain files. How do you know which ones? If you check your $HH directory, you'll notice that the Houdini build comes with a bunch of files and directories. Houdini has a $HOUDINI_PATH variable which is a list of directories that Houdini will look into to find these scripts. (see the help) Your home dir is in the path by default so that you can store prefs, custom scripts, digital assets, etc in this location and the path will pick it up. This might not be what your asking, but it's important to know.
Francisco Rodriguez
Effects Animator | Walt Disney Animation Studios
31 posts
Maybe this could be helpful:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2262&Itemid=362 [sidefx.com]
( Look at: Setting Up the Shot Directory )
4 posts
acaiborka
Maybe this could be helpful:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2262&Itemid=362 [sidefx.com]
( Look at: Setting Up the Shot Directory )
how get this script?
678 posts
write it
4 posts
mantragora
write it

please show my how to do it. I'm just starting to learn Houdini ops:
678 posts
This script can be made in any programming language you want. It doesn't have anything common with Houdini besides that it was used in this video.
4 posts
mantragora
This script can be made in any programming language you want. It doesn't have anything common with Houdini besides that it was used in this video.
thanks
  • Quick Links