Mplay Flipbook INCREMENTs?

2759   5   1
68 posts
I was able to render a flipbook for mplay with an incremental frame.
MPlay has a place to say what the increment is too.
Unfortunately it always tries to play every frame.
Definitely a bug. No? What's not obvious this time then please?

Also I tried to put the old expression in the filename to compensate but that doesn't seem to work in the Flipbook settings either!!?

Okay will that all seems pretty bad to me after all this time (still not handling incremental rendering properly ~ a fundamental starting point).

I'd love someone to show me up on this but the fact is it wasn't obvious and intuitive so still wrongly done in my flipping flipbook. V13
166 posts
GottaGetmedat
Also I tried to put the old expression in the filename to compensate but that doesn't seem to work in the Flipbook settings either!!?

There is an OpenGL ROP.
4189 posts
It plays back correctly in my opinion, adhering to the timebase and perfect for checking timing without rendering every frame.

If you want it to play faster just up the fps playback in mplay.

Edit: Have you tried the ‘Step’ number in the MPay Settings? Mplay/Prefernces dialog - it appears to do what you want, I think
68 posts
Well I've come back to add that on Windows.
You can't set MPlay to open the PNGs as a default or when selecting an alternative.
It should remember the last folder I was opening in so I don't have to navigate every time as well.
I use this hack…
$HIP/Images/ImageFilename_`floor($F/ch(“/out/mantra_ipr/f3”))+1`.png
to get it to render a sequence with any increament in single stepped filenames.
This is the only ridiculously complicated hack that makes MPlay.exe capable of playing an incrementally offset rendering. In my experience.

I love what's happening with houdini and am grateful for all that's been done over the years. Still after all that time it's still terribly difficult and extremely frustrating to learn and with simple fundamental things causing grief and confusion (making it difficult to use) the devs need really to look at these fundamental tools and their usability for noobs. Seriously this is typical of how embarrassing it is for them (and a non-negotiable fact because that's my valid beginner's opinion ).
4189 posts
It's probably best to use the Support menu to submit a bug.

GottaGetmedat
(and a non-negotiable fact because that's my valid beginner's opinion ).

I wouldn't assume your conclusions as many of here have as much experience and have different skills and opinions.
7760 posts
GottaGetmedat
I use this hack…
$HIP/Images/ImageFilename_`floor($F/ch(“/out/mantra_ipr/f3”))+1`.png
to get it to render a sequence with any increament in single stepped filenames.

How about rendering out with a (temporarily) modified FPS (divide by frame increment)? Then when you playback at the original FPS, you should get the same effect?
  • Quick Links