Switching to Houdini - 'Morphs'?

2172   2   1
2 posts
Hi houdini people,

After a long time working with Poser (alongside 3DSMax) I've decided to seriously check out Houdini. Poser's advantage was the fast and easy setup a scene using pre-constructed assets, and Houdini has something similar. I'm currently following some great tutorials on youtube and I'm finally enthusiastic about a 3D package again :shock:

Since I have well over 4 years worth of assets built up in Poser, it would be wise if I could port them over to Houdini to save work. FBX, DAE and other formats work fairly nicely and it looks like I can truly start working with Houdini in the near future. All I need to do is rig my base character in Houdini and I should be good to go.

One very important thing I used to work with in Poser was what they called ‘morphs’ which as some of you might know are shape variations of the same base figure, ie: character shapes. Now what is this called in Houdini? also morphs, or shapes?

And can anyone direct me to a tutorial or info about that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
e
23 posts
They are called blend shapes. You can add the node in the geometry level by searching for blend shapes. It works fine if you're only using Houdini but I haven't found a way to export the blend shapes to .fbx or something which stops me from using Houdini for characters for use in game engines.
2 posts
thanks so much! yeah As it looks I will probably be using Houdini or C4D, so I'm ok with it staying in there. Cheers
  • Quick Links