UV triplanar projection issue

7317   5   5
9 posts
I have been playing with the recently added UV triplanar projection VOP which is really nice and gives some great results.

However, I am having difficulty in getting the projection to “stick” to an object - the projection always seems to evaluate the X, Y, Z world axes.

I have tried adding rest position in SOPs and VOPs, but have been unsuccessful.

I have attached an image illustrating the problem - when the object is rotated, the values are mixing. I would like the top and sides to always retain pure R, G, B colors.

If anyone knows how to remedy this that would be great.

Thanks

Attachments:
triplanarProjectProblem.jpg (97.3 KB)

280 posts
for UV triplanar you also need rest normal
9 posts
I tried adding a rest normal also, but had no luck with this. Do you have a simple example file? Thanks
Staff
107 posts
BlueInGreen
I tried adding a rest normal also, but had no luck with this. Do you have a simple example file? Thanks

In order to make the triplanar projections ‘stick’ to deforming objects you need to add some rest attributes to your geometry, and then use those in your shader.

Attached is an example.

Cheers,
Scott

Attachments:
StickyTriPlanar.hip (221.2 KB)

—————-
Scott Keating
Product Designer
SideFX Software
—————-
9 posts
That's an excellent fix! Transforming to camera space was the key difference. Thanks Scott
Edited by BlueInGreen - July 18, 2016 15:51:23
2 posts
How do use the same technique in redshift triplanar node ? i cant seem to find a position and normal connection in the node to plug in the rest and resnml
  • Quick Links