RBD Object not interacting

5259   4   1
50 posts
Hello,
I have been setting up a small domino simulation in a DOP network. I have around 16 dominos falling as planned. The last one i want to fall off the top of the stairs and land on a plank ( teter taughter effect) but the last domino just falls right through the plank. I have assinged the RBD object as all the other dominos. Create RBD object (plank) assign RBD object to interact with (falling domino) with no results. Any ideas. :cry:
Staff
4456 posts
Is the volume representation for the plank object reasonably accurate? Turn on the “Show Collision Guide Geometry” option on the Collisions page of the plank DOP to check this. If not, try turning up the number of divisions, or model the plank aligned with the x, y, or z axis (volumes are computed as axis-aligned voxel arrays). You should also make sure that your plank is thick enough to be resolved into a valid volume representation (i.e. the plank should not be a single four sided polygon, but should be a cube with a resonable thickness).

Also make sure that the plank object is merged with the domino objects before feeding _all_ the objects into the RBD Solver DOP. This makes sure all the objects are solved by the same solver, and that all objects will affect all other objects.

If none of this works, please post your file. It will make it much easier to figure out what the problem is…

Mark
50 posts
Thanks mtucker for replying. I just got back into town. All checked out. I had to turn off the volume and laser on the physical properties of the plank and it worked out. I do think the plank was too thin for volume. This is something i learned to do to make a tube interact without volume. Thanks again.
Is there any way to set object to the final resting place. My objects seem to have to settle in on the ground plane before some of them set still?

Thanks,
Mozzenus
Staff
4456 posts
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but are you refering to problems with RBD objects jittering when they are sitting on the ground plane? If so, have a look at the “freezing” RBD demos which can be found on the help cards for the Script Solver and the Active Value DOP.

Mark
50 posts
Thanks Mark,
That is exactly what I mean. You have been very helpful.
Thanks again.
Tom
  • Quick Links