Post-installation questions

3615   1   1
31 posts
Happy to say I sucessfully installed Apprentice on my new machine yesterday and all is well so far. Have questions though.

Hard to get license for Houdini without internet connection. Figured out how to copy license key to my G4 (which has wireless broadband connection) and transfer it the HP notebook that way. But is there a disadvantage to running Houdini on a computer without an internet connection? For instance, are important parts of the help menus are connected to the internet?

Installed it with the pre-checked defaults: Main Application - Master, File Associations, and License Server. Extra File Associations were not default-checked for install, so I did not install them. Hope that is okay.

Did not install any other Main Applications. Do I need to install anything else to run it well?

The executable file of the Windows Port is listed as Win32. This is a 32 bit app then I assume? Does having a 64 bit processor (AMD Turion 64 single-core) not help in this case?

What is the advantage of a 64 bit apps over 32? Higher performance I assume, or is it something visual also?

thanx,
t.
194 posts
The apprentice license gets renewed every month by the license server, so in about 1 month, you'll need to get a new license off the web again. Other than that, you don't need an internet connection to run Houdini Apprentice, AFAIK.
  • Quick Links