Solaris Concept Question

1070   5   2
126 posts
Hi
I have a conceptual question regarding Solaris.
I have elaborately animated models and a complex camera rig in the Obj context.

Now, an elaborate scattering with trees, rocks, etc., is supposed to be added in Solaris. The camera is meant to fly between trees and rocks towards the animated objects. However, I can't see these objects in the Obj context because they are created in Solaris.

I can import the camera into Solaris, but I can't edit the nulls or targets created in the Obj context in Solaris. However, I also can't copy the camera rig to Solaris.

I see a certain discontinuity in the pipeline. Or how would you proceed here?
It would be useful if the camera rigs could be copied to Solaris and remain editable.

Or do you create the rigs in Solaris, which I find very confusing."

How can I assist you further with this?
67 posts
You can use "followpath" and "lookat" nodes in solaris. You can select prim there, and those prims can be objects easily imorted from obj context
PS. Remember about caching, you dont want time dependency in your graph
Edited by sniegockiszymon - Nov. 28, 2023 05:40:31
126 posts
sniegockiszymon
You can use "followpath" and "lookat" nodes in solaris. You can select prim there, and those prims can be objects easily imorted from obj context
PS. Remember about caching, you dont want time dependency in your graph

Hi Thanks

Yes I saw the look at. But I mean, if you have a camera rig with some nulls in obj-context.
And do you mean caching considering simulations?
67 posts
tomtm
I mean cache lop. When you are using something time dependent froms sops you must put cache node to author time samples, so you can import objects with animated transforms and everything works. If you see this clock indicating time dependency in solaris graph its not a proper workflow.

tomtmYou
Yes I saw the look at. But I mean, if you have a camera rig with some nulls in obj-context.
Hmm I dont really see an option to import null as its not object, but it would be strange if its not possible to import only transforms cuz its possible to create them in solaris, thats question to someone else how to import those transforms from null. Not elegant workaround would be to parent this null to object and import this object
Edited by sniegockiszymon - Nov. 28, 2023 19:58:07
126 posts
sniegockiszymon
tomtm
I mean cache lop. When you are using something time dependent froms sops you must put cache node to author time samples, so you can import objects with animated transforms and everything works. If you see this clock indicating time dependency in solaris graph its not a proper workflow.

tomtmYou
Hmm I dont really see an option to import null as its not object, but it would be strange if its not possible to import only transforms cuz its possible to create them in solaris, thats question to someone else how to import those transforms from null. Not elegant workaround would be to parent this null to object and import this object

In solaris, Null objects could be this Xform nodes or so. I really would wish to have something like a Null in Solaris or even be able to copy the camera rig into Solaris.

Also , I hope they allow to access the camera switcher from obj context in Solaris to render multiple shots more easy.

One more question: To instance in Solaris is much more powerful/performing than in obj right?
I think to grass and trees. I also hope of improvement of the layout tool to easy paint objects in Solaris.
59 posts
iam not that advanced in Houdini and still didnt test Solaris propperly but i think if its look dev module so there should also be advanced sollution for multicamera shots, easy for DOP "Director of Photography" to manipulate in non destructive not linear approach with UI interface a bit like from Adobe Premiere or other software for film editing.

So Solaris would be usefull not only for look dev of still images but also for animation/commercial blocking and editing for animatics and stuff.

i miss that option too..
  • Quick Links