Point Instancer without Referencing ("Reference" Method)

898   4   0
16 posts
I'm trying to copy payloads on points. But the payloads are coming in under a Prototype Scope prim, and prepended as references on each point. Instead, I want to copy the "raw" payloads on to each point, as shown in the attached image.

Hopefully this can be done without a second Python or VEX step, which can be slow on thousands of points.

I also attached a demo hip file (Houdini 20.0.506), which exports the usd to the user desktop.

Appreciate any discussions/tips!
Edited by nd_sliu - Nov. 30, 2023 19:09:58

Attachments:
ideal-usd-output.png (256.5 KB)
network.png (258.8 KB)
instancer-options.png (52.5 KB)
point-instancer-demo.zip (17.6 KB)

Staff
4444 posts
You could use a SOP Create LOP to author the raw Xform prims (using SOP points with a usdprimtype attribute), then use a Reference LOP to create the payload arcs on each prim? Maybe a Configure Prim LOP after that to make sure the extents are authored properly...
16 posts
Hmm I haven't thought of that. Thank you. I'll try that and follow up when I revisit this!
16 posts
@mtucker I tried out your suggested method was able to add payloads the way I wanted. Took a bit to wrap my head around it 😅. Now I'm hitting another blocker trying to variants based on point attributes.

In SOPs, I'm assigning different payloads to each point using a string point attribute "payload". Then in LOPs the attribute "payload" turns into a primvar. But I can't get the Reference node to apply a payload based on the "payload" primvar - The File Pattern parameter doesn't seem to evaluate on a per-prim basis.

Any tips on assigning different payloads based on primvars? Thanks!

I also attached the updated demo file to showcase the issue
Edited by nd_sliu - April 12, 2024 22:47:38

Attachments:
Annotation 2024-04-12 194430.png (642.4 KB)
point-instancer-demo.zip (21.7 KB)

Staff
4444 posts
The primvar doesn't exist on the instance prims until after the instancer LOP, so the Reference LOP has to come after the instancer. See the attached new hip file.

Attachments:
demo_v2.hip (155.8 KB)

• Quick Links