Houdini 9 UI fonts antialiasing

8938   8   1
160 posts
Hi all.

How i can change interface fonts type, or interface fonts antialiasing method?
In houdini 8, fonts edges look more sharpen. h9 have some smooth font edges.

This not problem on standart monitor resolutions, but on my widescreen 1440x900 i see some fonts smoothing on small fonts (i use “small” UI size preset in UI prefs).

~
what engine h9 use for fonts antialiasing? On linux & windows h9 UI fonts look identically.
Can i make some tune for UI fonts ?
483 posts
Houdini 9's UI fonts are rendered using Freetype. There is no way to modify the method of rendering.
4270 posts
On my LCD I really like Small UI style but the Font/Text is too messy/blurry to read in some cases. I find setting HOUDINI_UISCALE to 105 solves these problems.

Nice compact UI with readable fonts.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
519 posts
Live_fx if you are using linux you could play a bit with the way the fonts are rendered. There are some files in /etc/fonts to tweak. They are in xml though ? Check the manuals about fontconfig and freetype2.
557 posts
I see Wolfwood has stopped crying…
483 posts
Pagefan
Live_fx: if you are using linux you could play a bit with the way the fonts are rendered. There are some files in /etc/fonts to tweak. They are in xml though :? Check the manuals about fontconfig and freetype2.
I should clarify that we don't use fontconfig on Linux. The fonts are hard-coded and shipped with Houdini, and the same fonts and rendering code are used on Windows and Linux.
12544 posts
I know that OSX has in it's font rendering preferences (System Preferences > Appearance) an option to disable font smoothing on fonts under a certain size (like 6pt and under) probably for this very reason. It might be interesting for SESI to see if it can help if they implement it in Houdini too?
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
160 posts
Joe
Houdini 9's UI fonts are rendered using Freetype. There is no way to modify the method of rendering.

Thanks you Joe. My be in future developers can add some lines in configs -like “TINY_FONTS_ANTIALIASING (on/off)” or something like this.
This is not major problem.

Pagefan:
>>if you are using linux you could play a bit with the way the fonts are rendered. There are some files in /etc/fonts

Thanks, but i careful with changes on /etc/* files This is the way too,but if program use external fonts/engine for antialiasing. And sometimes I use h9 on winXp.

Thanks
160 posts
Wolfwood
On my LCD I really like Small UI style but the Font/Text is too messy/blurry to read in some cases. I find setting HOUDINI_UISCALE to 105 solves these problems.

Nice compact UI with readable fonts.

~~
it work fonts is big, but - is readable. Good alternate way for solving my problem.
Wolfwood,how many times you re-run houdini, before detect “105” ?
  • Quick Links