Search - User list
Full Version: Using 3D Max shortcut keys?
Root » Houdini Lounge » Using 3D Max shortcut keys?
Teriander
Is it possible to automaticly set Houdini to use a keyboard shortcut like 3DMax? For example, Q = Select, W = Move, etc. Like MOST 3D application shortcut key layouts are designed?

Or must I manually reassign these keys?
symek
I don't think there is any way to assign preset's shortcuts in Houdini (other than replacing all hotkeys files in $HFS/config/HotKeys directory).

But I've heard that Max is going to provide Houdini's preset instead. So you can practise while working with Max

sy.
kuba
Hey Teriander, think the other way round set max's shortcuts to match houdini's I've been working like that for the last 2 years. I still have Q for selections, W for wireframe toggle (which is very handy while editing heavy geometry), E,R,T for scale, rotate, transform. Works like a charm for me, but of course this is a personal issue.

kuba
andrewlowell
I've tried this and was marginally sucessful. The spacebar thing is a huge pain to do it in max because it can do keyboard combinations in the shortcuts. Houdini 9's middle mouse stuff is now pretty much identical to max's I think.

I think the 3D community should just come up with a open-source key-board shortcut format that all the apps could implement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.