Search - User list
Full Version: Point instancer using 1st points inputs issue
Root » Technical Discussion » Point instancer using 1st points inputs issue
mzigaib
I am trying to use the point instancer LOP using the 1st input points I can not find anywhere that shows me the correct way to sort them like when I am using the internal SOP with the name attribute which works fine.

Can someone give me a hint?
mzigaib
Let me know if I am not making sense.
Cold maple
Image Not Found

I'm not sure if I've understood it correctly. You can give it a try using this file.
mzigaib
I will take a look, thanks!

Summarizing I just want to be able to use the 1st input with points saved as usd the same way I can use the internal SOP because they don't read the attributes the same way.
mzigaib
What I am trying to figure it out it is a little more complex.

I did try to simplify in my file to illustrate what I am trying to find out:

-I have a RBD sim on SOP level just saving the points for the instance geometry.
-Using the name attribute with a copy to points I am instancing this geometry which is working.
-I am trying to replicate this with the 2 options on Solaris:

What works:
-Using the "internal SOP" option on the target points on the point Instancer LOP and using the name attribute to fetch the pieces with my points from SOP works.

What did not and I am trying to find out why:
-The same thing but trying to use the "1st input points" using the left branch.

I hope that makes sense.

Image Not Found
Tanto
Right now, your name attribute isn't imported, but it's used to create the usd path of your points. In your point sop import, enable "Primitive Definition/Path Attributes" and remove "name" from the list. Also, add it to the "Import Data/Attributes" list.
Tanto
Also, be sure to check out Houdini RBD Procedural lop.
mzigaib
Yes that was the missing part, not use name attribute on the SOP import to organize the geometry, thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.