Search - User list
Full Version: Seperate Shadows
Root » Technical Discussion » Seperate Shadows
claudio_101
Hi Guy's,
I' m looking for a way to render my scene in different passes.
The main setup that I want to use is one exr that contains the following passes: color, diffuse, occlusion, shadow.
Everything works fine but I see the shadows also in the diffuse pass and I don't want that.

I can make a different take for the shadow pass and render that separately, but then I have 2 exr files. Isn't there a way to have shadows on my shadow image plane and no shadows in my diffuse pass without having to do 2 renders?

All suggestions are welcome.
thx,
c
circusmonkey
You need to create a lighting loop in your shader to extract a dif pass with no shadows. There are plenty of examples around.

rob
claudio_101
thx, I will have a look at that.
Cheers
brianBurke
Here is a way to do what you're describing in VOPs. This is generally the same math as the Shadow Matte VOP, give or take.

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/9466-shadow-matte-with-envlight/page__view__findpost__p__62315 [forums.odforce.net]
claudio_101
thx brian,
But I think this is a bit out of my league.
Any suggestion on where to start to understand this?
thx,
c
circusmonkey
Hi claudio ,
Here is a different technique attached that I have used before now. You can still do all your test renders using a mantra rop but then to split everything off at render time you use some mantra rops to render the various passes out. It will show you how you can use the scripts tab of the mantra ROPs to drive actions. There is no reason why you could not add a pre render script to tell all the lights casting shadows to turn themselves off . At least this way you keep the button pushing to a minimum as its easy to forget you must turn x on or y off to render a pass.
The scene file also sits in a directory structure I use which might be handy.
circusmonkey
Sorry I could not resist. Attached a scene where your lights turn shadows on / off via a mantra rop. So no need to remember to turn anything on / off . Instead of using the variable $RENDERPASS you could create another toggle for the mantra_shadow rop if you wanted.

rob
claudio_101
thx for the files, nice approach by the way. :wink:
Never thought of doing it like that.
Like proposed and said in the odforece thread http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/10343-separate-shadows/page__gopid__67360&#entry67360 [forums.odforce.net] in my case it's not worth the effort and I just gone do the separate pass. But still any information about the illuminance loop is welcom.

cheers,
c
circusmonkey
Hey you don't have to double post to get an answer, many users look at both sites. As I said there's plenty of information on illuminance loops just do a search and start pulling the various scenes apart.

good luck

Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.