Search - User list
Full Version: Z-Depth pass files Unreadable by Compositor
Root » Technical Discussion » Z-Depth pass files Unreadable by Compositor
Drex
When I try to get a separate seq for Pz plane (i tried tif, exr and pic seq with same results) in Mantra, i always get unreadable by AE cs 5.5, Combustion 2088 and Fusion 6.3 files.

When i tried the same with Normal pass, i get a perfect readable file. It seems to be an issue only for Pz variable.

H 11.0.812 here. Any suggestion?

Thanx in advance.
eetu
My guess would be it's because Pz is a single channel (“grayscale”) and Normal is three channels (“color”)
Drex
Hi, Thanx for response.

If that was the case… Any way to change that? Or any program to convert the files externally? I even can't open the files in Photoshop.
mickyblue
Hi Drex,

You should know that the renderd files are normaly saved as a 32Bit float file, so they are not clipped limited or tonmapped!

Maybe you just need to find the right spot in which your depth (grayscale)
appears…

send a test file!
Drex
OK Guys.

I did this simple example including the HIP, one rendered frame, the Pz pass rendered file an N pass rendered file.

Thanx.
mickyblue
everything is fine!

I saved an exr. and used the AE extractor. And indeed the images appers white befor you dont hit the right greyscale spot.
In this case B=20 W=-9

hope that helps!
Drex
Thanx U Mickey, It worked perfectly as you said.

But I still have that thorn on my feet… Why a Pz pass saved in a separated image is unreadable on Compositor?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.