Search - User list
Full Version: two sided materials
Root » Houdini Learning Materials » two sided materials
sico
Hello, im new to houdini, coming from maya and im tring to understand how the lighting, shading and rendering works in houdini
for start i got stuck with double sided and layers material sooo what i want to know is how to set up a double sided material in houdini. to be more specific i want to have two mantra surfaces assigned to one plane so one face can have glossy strong reflections and the other just a little glossy reflections, and different colors

i know how to do it in maya but here is …very different and im trying to understand how houdini works and i cant find a lot info for shaders online

thx

i really hope not to get stuck)
anon_user_40689665
Try using isfrontface vop connected to switch vop(s).
Don't have Houdini on me atm, can't send an example…
Sadjad Rabiee
Yes ,You can simply use “Is Front Face” VEX node to create double sided material .

But you don't have exactly same thing like Maya's “Layered Shader” in the Houdini !

But the Materials in the Houdini is open and you can make your own custom material very easy ,So you can create your custom material ( 2 Combined material with double sided effect ) with mixing 2 different surfaceModel node in the Material network.

Check attached file for more detail
sico
thx! i have managed to do it… and i just love this software!…

but now i have another problem. how can i see all my textures from my scene so i can change the path for them. for now i can use shop and take all the materials by hand and try not to forget any of them but its somehow difficult to do this in a big scene.

can someone help me with this?
thx
tamte
Render/Pre-Flight Scene will show you all external files and you can change them from there as well

or there is Hscript command called: opextern
you can call it from python if you want to
sico
thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.