Search - User list
Full Version: Creating HDA's att different levels
Root » Houdini Engine for Unreal » Creating HDA's att different levels
MagnusL3D
I am not sure if im getting this..but if I create a HDA at /OBJ level so it becomes /OBJ/Subnet I can then put a geo node and a shopnet inside that so I can have multiple materials.
But if I create the HDA from say /OBJ/geo level, meaning from inside a geo node, so the actual HDA is created from /OBJ/geo/Subnet I can still put a shopnet in the /OBJ/geo/subnet but Unreal wont understand multiple materials while the first solution it does.

That is all fine..unless I want to have a curve input, because the only way I've managed to create that is on the /OBJ/Geo/subnet, I am not sure how todo that with /OBJ/Subnet HDA's ..which as of now atleast, means I cant have curve inputs and multiple materials.

I am guessing I am missing something ? or is this a limitation in the current state of things ?
MagnusL3D
Ended up using the custom “unreal_face_material” attribute, and im guessing it should be a string for a existing material in Unreal, so i typed in “M_Wood_Oak” which is a startermaterial and that didnt work, and I also tried “StarterContent/Materials/M_Wood_Oak” and that didnt work..but atleast I can assign 2 different not working material's so I then later in Unreal can assign them. It get's a bit booring when you have several copies of your HDA placed.

ttvdsfx
You need to set the reference in that unreal_face_material string. Right click on the asset in UE content browser, click copy reference. Set that as an attribute value.
MagnusL3D
ttvdsfx
You need to set the reference in that unreal_face_material string. Right click on the asset in UE content browser, click copy reference. Set that as an attribute value.

And when you mean the asset in UE content browser, you mean the material in UE ? Just making sure

ttvdsfx
I mean the material (or any material interface derived type, mics etc) uasset object in the Unreal content browser. Have a look at the attrib create node inside the attached asset.
MagnusL3D
Cool thanks I see now, tested with a regular material and that worked too. Just for future reference, are things like these documented somewhere ?

ttvdsfx
I think there are some tutorials that mention these. But there needs to be a better documentation, for sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.