Search - User list
Full Version: Legacy Tutorials
Root » Houdini Lounge » Legacy Tutorials
goldfarb
Am I just not able to find the legacy tutorials (the old pdf ones)…or have they been removed?
if they have been removed I think it would be a good idea to bring them back - if only as a simple list of links to the pdf's…
I know that SESI doesn't really like having this kind of stuff around (many are old enough to simply not work anymore) but there are still some great workflow ideas that are not available anywhere else right now…

thanks
peliosis
Come on guys, I'm sure somebody have them all downloaded.
Kader
Nobody knows or nobody cares …

I need them as well.
Can someone give us a clue ? a link ? something …?
Kader
Nobody knows or nobody cares …

I need them as well.
Can someone give us a clue ? a link ? something …?
Le_monkey_butt
It could be possible that sydney Vislab have them but not sure. Moreover the following link doesnt seem to work anymore:
sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au/
Rafal.M
hey arctor check it out:
http://www.rafal.stnet.pl/houdini/tutorials.htm [rafal.stnet.pl]

I put there some tuts maybe legacy stuff also, don't remember
Mikael_Amion
Hey Rafal I downloaded the ones I dont have from you and published them alongside the ones I have and put them up on my website. There is also a couple of tuts from other places and couple of reviews and articles in there that mentiones Houdini in various ways. The 9MB one named “CAMF” is a review of making a game called Roman Race with Houdini, I thought I mention it if anyone is on low bandwidth.

http://www.soulvector.com/pages/tutorials/houdini/ [soulvector.com]
symek
I think I got all of them, also pdf from TechImage, It's all about 80MB, but there are also some others pdfs, (on RenderMan, press info etc etc) ~80 documents:

(removed picture…)

If anybody intrested I can put it somethere but don't know what execly…
Mikael_Amion
Hi SYmek, you got a few there. I used to have more as well on CD but they got destroyed by time and careless handling. If you like to you can .zip them and mail me at soulvector@soulvector.com if your mail account can handle that large files or if that doesnt work you can send me a mail and I give you a FTP account so you can upload them manually.

This comes in handy if we should organize them

http://web.archive.org/web/ [web.archive.org] <–search for www.sidefx.com
symek
ok, I will choose houdini tutorials and send you somehow. You can send me ftp account info by private message or I can put it on my own ftp. As you like.

PS It would be good idea to make such “center of good stuff” - old tutorials and MOST important: repository of intersting HIPs with some notes. I keep on my disk all intersting hips (from others I mean ) in different folders: pops, dops, vops etc. So whenever I need some solution I just jump into it and look for “this network, I remember someone has already done it!”. But the condition of succes is that every network is noted, and has page with detailed descripton. Because when it starts to be plenty of HIPs it's hard to find the one you need. I know it from my own experience… . You know what I mean, keyword, advanced search like: “primitive” + “rotate” + “expression” and you find how to rotate primitives in geometry around arbitrary point relative to them not around its center as in primitiveSOP.

by the way, who knows the answer?

cheers,
SY.
Mikael_Amion
Thanks to SYmek we now have couple of more tutorials to enjoy cheers mate!

http://www.soulvector.com/pages/tutorials/houdini/ [soulvector.com]

If anyone have more tuts they would like to add to that collection feel free to send me a pm and I give account details to upload.

One thing though, I have not heard anything from you guys at SideFX yet but do you approve for us to collaborate on this thing and exchange older tutorials? perhaps you want us to add somewhere that they are not officially supported by the recent version or similar comment.
altbighead
May be we can put all the free houdini resources and make a torrent out of it .That why we don't need to worry about running out of bandwidth.
Mikael_Amion
altbighead
May be we can put all the free houdini resources and make a torrent out of it .That why we don't need to worry about running out of bandwidth.

Perhaps I/we can make a torrent out of these but I got a feeling there are more .pdf´s out there we can collect before making a torrent. Regarding bandwidth I have 30gigs/month so hopefully its enough to begin with.
VisualCortexLab
If you want to make a ZIP file (or tar.gz) i can host it on my own server….. i have unlimited useage/month … it'll just maybe not that fast for you to download.. but slow is better than nothing i guess….

just let me know.
stevester1
does this torrent exist yet lol, i also need them
pbowmar
I have 1 terrabyte/month on a fast server but very little human time ) If someone wants to upload stuff, drop me a mail at pbowmar(at)yahoo(dot)com and I'll give you a temp FTP account to upload to.

I can then make HTML and FTP access available publicly when I get a breather. I also know the material very well, and I can remove the especially out of date ones. Basically, any old character or Materials training is no good anymore, it's changed too much. VOPs, CHOps and POPs especially remain the same with some minor UI changes. A lot of the SOP stuff is still usable, but often is obsolete because VOPs has replaced a lot of what you used to use the Point SOP for )

Cheers,

Peter B
Mikael_Amion
There has been a few .pdf downloads from my site. 2252.45MB to be precise. And I´ve raised my limit to 50GB per month so I think it´s cool to leave them there for people to grab.

But you Peter have a massive limit(non-limit). You could put a reel in raw video for ppl to download if you like. About the Pdf´s, It would be great if you made them public whenever you get some sparetime and include the out of date ones also
altbighead
bumping this thread because i lost some of the pdf and majority of video while transering data between hard drives.Does anyone still have a videos on their ftp/wed sites.I know odforce backed up some of the videos but not all of it.
Thanks
Mikael_Amion
I´m rebuilding my website so there is nothing there right now. I have most of the videos though. Some of those from vislab are in .rm I beleive. Perhaps asking someone for permission to make torrent out of them? Personally I enjoy watching them from time to time. Some kind of tutorial fetish i guess.

I never got around to make torrent of the pdf´s though seeing quite a lot of ppl grabbed them as they were. I will publish them when I update my site later this summer if nothing else happens. It would be nice if SideFX released all of their old pdf´s *hint*
pbowmar
I'm still willing to host stuff, if anyone wants drop me an email and I'll give you FTP upload to my site. I have a little more time these days but not much!

Cheers,

PeteR B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.