Search - User list
Full Version: dialog prompt when creating digital asset, what does it mean?
Root » Houdini Indie and Apprentice » dialog prompt when creating digital asset, what does it mean?
aoakenfoArchiact
When I create a digital asset, it prompts me with:
“Some instances of <my node> have had their parameter layout modified. The parameter dialogs of these nodes will not reflect changes made to the parameter layout of this asset.”

And it gives me 3 options: No Changes, Revert Layout, Destroy All Spare Parameters

???
aoakenfoArchiact
This video [sidefx.com] says to destroy all spare parameters, but no gives no reason why.

UPDATE: I found out what it's deleting on the node by looking at the diff in properties.
old_school
This dialog comes up when the new HDA you are trying to save the definition for has a change in the parameter interface from the existing HDA definition you are replacing.

The three options are there to let you decide what you want to do with the parameters on both the original definition and the new definition.

No Changes: keep all the parameters from the original definition and the added/changed parameters on the definition you are about to write. Use this if you want to sort out all the old and new parameters manually. You may have a custom spare parameter that you want to keep on the new definition.

Revert Layout: keep the old parameters and toss any new spare parameters you creating with the new definition of the asset. Use this if you are not sure the new definition should really be altering the parameter interface. If you haven't made any change to the parameters and you write the asset and still get this dialog, this option would be a safe bet. Chances are there is a node inside the asset that itself has seen a parameter change across releases that you may or may not have to deal with. 99% of the time if you are unlocking and locking up an HDA just to poke around and you get this dialog, safely choose this option and carry on.

Destroy All Spare Parameters: remove all old spare parameters and replace with new parameters from the new definition you are about to write. Out with the old and in with the new! If you are pushing an HDA forward making lots of developmental changes and you get this dialog, destroy and move forward is what you do. Fix as you go.
dylanfries
I am trying to make a tutorial video for people getting started but I keep getting this error. I understand your explanation of the options but I would like to know if I am doing something wrong if this appears? I am literally just creating a new Box obj, then saving it as a digital assets. Is this telling me that I am overwriting the default Box digital asset? What I am trying to do is create a new digital asset based on a simple Box parameter. Would you be able to clarify:

1. This means I am editing the default Box DA. In this case, I recommend a more clear message so people understand what they are getting into.

2. I am not creating a new digital asset as I hoped. In this case, it might be good to clarify the workflow since this APPEARS to create a new digital asset from the interface given, rather then modify the built in asset (which I would expect 99% of the time is not what I want).

Thanks !
jerry7
I wonder reason too. This message must pop up when one create a hda from Geometry obj.
jsmack
jerry7
I wonder reason too. This message must pop up when one create a hda from Geometry obj.

I happens when ever you save changes to hda that modify the parm dialog, or create a new hda from an existing node that has a different parm dialog than the source.

Generally, you want to select No changes. When rearranging the parameter layout, it might be necessary to ‘revert layout’ for the existing instances of the hda to reflect the changes saved to the asset. Note that this might cause spare parameters that are not part of the definition to lose their place in the layout and appear bottom of the dialog.

It might be good to re-instantiate the node to be sure it was saved with all the parameters that were intended to be saved.
Nathan Apffel
I get this dialog when fist creating a hda from a geo node. which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.