Search - User list
Full Version: Fluid Vertex Shader - Target Polycount?
Root » Houdini Engine for Unity » Fluid Vertex Shader - Target Polycount?
jwaustin3
Hello all! I recently purchased a Houdini Indie license to use in conjunction with Unity. I have been trying to get the vertex animation shaders to work, but have run into a few issues with the fluid vertex shader. The mesh moves as it should, but the textures flicker in and out. I have gathered from a previously posted topic that my issue is related to the “Target Polycount” export parameter: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/51884/ [www.sidefx.com] However, no matter how I change this parameter, I still wind up with flickering textures. I am trying to animate the vertices of a tube with a mountain node just as a simple test. The smoke_isosurface_mesh in the example unity project runs fine, and I have tried copying its settings to no avail. Please let me know if you all have any advice on what to look for when solving this problem. I am an utter neophyte when it comes to the Houdini and 3D in general, so please forgive me if I have overlooked something obvious. Thank you so much for your time.
all the best,
-Jesse

These are the meshes, at various target polycounts, exhibiting the described flickering:

Here is the previously mentioned topic:
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/51884/ [www.sidefx.com]

And here is the .hiplc file:
Attachment Not Found
Ambrosiussen
Hi!

I have also ran into this issue recently while building some demo content, and found I could fix the issue by dropping down a normal sop at the end of my geometry node. (The one I feed into the VAT-Tool).

Try that, and let us know if it helped

Paul
jwaustin3
Hi Paul! Thank you so much for your reply- Apologies for my late response- Was away for a few days. I am still having the issue after some tests with the above solution. However, I will tinker further and post any progress. Often, the animations run beautifully for most of their cycle, only to disappear or dissolve near the end. I can also get a fluid-like behavior from the softbody shader as well, but the mesh will suddenly explode outward mid-cycle if the polycount reaches very high. Thanks very much for your help, and I would be very interested in any forthcoming demo content.
best,
Jesse
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.