Search - User list
Full Version: changing the scale pivot
Root » Houdini Lounge » changing the scale pivot
aurafx
hello every one.

Im trying to change the pivot of a sphere so that when I scale only in Y the sphere scales from the bottom up. never breaking the ground plane.

so far I have the sphere tile then I have tried to use the xform and the xformaxis . It moves the translantion handles but not the scale pivot.

can any one help?
Thanks

aurafx@aol.com
cyclinggimpe
If you are talking about moving the pivot point, then right click on the manipulator handle (your scale handle) and go to the top and select the “Toggle handle-geometry detachment”. Then you can move your pivot point anywhere you want. After you move it to the desired location, then right click the handle again and select “Toggle handle-geometry detachment” again so you can now move your object.
aurafx
cyclinggimpe

I tried to do the “toggle geometry detachment” Yes this worked to move the this worked but I am trying to do squash and streach. When I translated th Y scale by its self the center of the sphere remained at 0,0,0
My fix was to copy the parameters and paste prameteres ref in to the Y translation . This made it work. But now I have to use another xform tile to animate the Y of the up and down.

Do you have any other suggestions? Is this the way a bouncing ball with squash and streach works?

Don :?

aurafx
edward
What about only animating position and rotations at the object level and then at the sop level, use a Twist SOP set to Squash & Stretch? Make sure to set the correct pivot in the Twist SOP though.
Dragon Ranger
what you want to do is uncheck the pivot around centroid box, put the negetive value of your radius in the Y aspect of the pivot, this puts the pivot at the bottom of your sphere.
Now make your transformations in the matrix not with the handle.
massta
I'm creating a flower and I want to Bend each pedal seperately.

Problem is that each pedal is at a different rotation/position around stem.
I can't get the pivot to rotate to desired location for the Bend SOP.

Isn't there a way to set the PIVOT for the object in SOPs so it will carry throughout remaining SOPs?

Thanks,
~Shawn
Simon
Move the object at sop level so the pivot point you want aligns with 0,0,0 most sops use that as the default. Those that don't use the center so you have to clear out the expressions and save that as the default.
massta
Okay, I found an easy work around this problem.

Append a transform sop. Position object so it's in desired position for manipulation.
Right Mouse Buttom click transform sop and select Reference Copy.
Wire new transform sop after manipulation op (I'm using a bend operation).
Right Mouse Button click on Invert Transformation, select Delete Channels.
Now Enable Invert Transformation.

Blam!
done!

~Shawn
AndrewVK
If you are talking about AUTOmoving the pivot point to the bottom of “something”, then type $YMIN into “Pivot” Y field of xformSOP
Dean_19
can't you just go into pivot mode (insert) and move the pivot to the base of the sphere. The when you scale in y the base of the sphere never moves in y…is that what you want?
massta
Yes, the pivot transformation works well for most applications but I had a difficult time with the Bend SOP. My transform sop solution above worked just fine for this.

~Shawn
Dean_19
Not really used the bend sop much, ill have to check it out!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.