Search - User list
Full Version: Sharpen a Model
Root » Houdini Lounge » Sharpen a Model
im_a
Hi

I come from a Maya background and so still learning Houdini. I am trying to do something like this video

https://vimeo.com/178798965 [vimeo.com]

Matt in the comments section of the video mentions.
“I have not actually ever used the curvature sop. However I'm pretty sure I'm doing the same operation. I calculate the difference in angle between the point normal and its neighbor's normals. Then I do a weighted average on all points within a radius, pulling stronger towards points with a high curvature value.”

I just don't know where to start. Would anybody have recommendation on where to start.

thanks
Imran
Midphase
Why don't you contact him directly and ask?

There is also this, but I'm not sure it's the same thing:

https://www.orbolt.com/asset/napitupulu::Patar3d_unsubdiv
im_a
Hi

Ya I was going to ask him as well but figure I start here in case Houdini might have made a node for this kind of feature already.

The unsubdiv change topology, I am trying for it to keep the same topology but its a good start for me to look at how the network is made.

Thanks
Imran
PaQ WaK
Hello,

Probably not the most convincing result, but you can use the attribute blur to sharpen somehow a shape.
- Influence type : proximity
- Max neighbors : 4 or 5
and then tweak the bluring iteration.

You might want to add a second attr.blur (or smooth) to reduce geometry glitches.
im_a
Hi PaQ

I am going to give that a shot and see how that looks. Thanks.

-Imran
CYTE
Hey Everybody,

here is my take on the subject. I would love to get rid of that final smooth operator. Any ideas are very welcome!

Cheers
CYTE
menjah
CYTE
Hey Everybody,

here is my take on the subject. I would love to get rid of that final smooth operator. Any ideas are very welcome!

Cheers
CYTE

Made this account to say, amazing! I've been looking around the internet a bunch for an equivalent to zbrush's “clayPolish” and it looks like you've figured out pretty much exactly what it's doing under the hood – tangent smooth! Thanks so much dude!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.