Search - User list
Full Version: Any talk about Houdini 9.0 being 64-bit
Root » Houdini Lounge » Any talk about Houdini 9.0 being 64-bit
el_diablo
Cmon, dont be the last to put out the 64-bit version. Everyone is doing it for 2 years +.

I'm ramping up for my Houdini Escape purchase…

A few related questions:

1. 9.0 Escape wont have fluids I presume? Maybe ROPs make way down? Or POPs?

2.Yearly maintenance covers all upgrades? Also major ones?

3. Houdini Linux doesnt have any major drawbacks? Like lack of sound functionality or other stuff?

4. Is the node locked version both Win/Lin or just one?

Btw, I'm posting this here and not emailing sales directly becouse i think it may also help other people maybe.
digitallysane
Cmon, dont be the last to put out the 64-bit version. Everyone is doing it for 2 years +.
Just look on the downloads page and you'll see the 64 bit linux versions.

1. 9.0 Escape wont have fluids I presume? Maybe ROPs make way down? Or POPs?
I think all the relevant ROPs are already in Escape. If they put POPs in Escape then the only thing Master would have would be DOPs? Hard to believe.

2.Yearly maintenance covers all upgrades? Also major ones?
This is answered in this FAQ [sidefx.com]. Make sure you check the FAQ's in the Support menu of the site.

3. No
4. Last time I asked they were either Win or Lin, not both. Which doesn't make sense to me.

Dragos
el_diablo
Thanks for the answers neighbour. So Houdini linux can use up all the ram you give it? Nice…

The faq you linked is really nice, very good selection of q/a.
el_diablo
Also I would like to say i feel a little embarrassed not noticing the 64 bit versions for myself. I guess Side FX didn't put a big banner on the homepage.

“WE ARE 64-bit TOO!!! WHOOOHOO!”

I'm a off/on user of Houdini Apprentice for a while now…I guess it happened when i was more off then on.
edward
On a sidenote from the journal [sidefx.com]:
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Houdini 8.2.22: Houdini is now built such that it will be able to take advantage of a full 4GB virtual address space on Microsoft Windows XP x64 edition.
mattd
I realize that 64bit linux has been around for a while - but for those of us who are stuck with windows 64 bit would love to get in on it. As also mentioned in this thread - master tokens won't work crossplatform, so that pretty much kills any chance that I could get a box dual booted on 64bit linux.
I am always killing houdini by setting something or another up too high and causing an alloc failure, I would love to be able to either not have to mess with workarounds or let the system just doit and recover.

also, culling SOPs blows.

MD
malexander
Houdini 8.2.22: Houdini is now built such that it will be able to take advantage of a full 4GB virtual address space on Microsoft Windows XP x64 edition.

Just wanted to clarify that this is referring to a 32bit Houdini under XP64. A 64bit Houdini would effectively not have a virtual address limit.
Mikael_Amion
digitallysane
I think all the relevant ROPs are already in Escape.

Correct me if I´m wrong but I beleive all CHOPs from Master is now also in Escape.
old_school
Yes. As of H8.2.

Same goes for COPs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.