Search - User list
Full Version: Use Pivot Painter with Tree Generator
Root » Houdini for Realtime » Use Pivot Painter with Tree Generator
Gumminerd
Hi guys,

usually I do use speedtree for my plants and trees but I always wanted to use the pivot painter technique to animate my vegetation. First of all I thought I could use Blender, but the process to get it to work is really time consuming. You have to seperate each branch, reapply a new pivot and parent everything to another.

Do this for a lot of plants and you have wasted a lot of time.

So, Houdini is the right tool here!
When I saw the new tree generator and pivot painter tool in houdini my dreams came true.
The tree tool is really great and beside a cutout editor and mesh blending functionality (scanned tree trunks) all I need.
So thanks to the awesome developers!

But back to my question.
How can I use the tree generator with the pivot painter 2.0 tool?

This is what I did so far:

Since the pivot painter tool itself does not have a lot settings to modify, I tried to replicate the demo files.
Disclaimer - beginner here.

First of all I took the curves and delete from every curve all the points, expect the first one to get pivot positions. First I thought I could use the pivot_pos and I still think I could use it, but sadly I wasn't able to utilize this data. Next I renamed the level_path attribute to hierarchy and did some other things.

s@hierachy = "root/" + re_replace("//","/",s@level_path);

Did the same for the geometry and added a new root point ... just to be sure that the information is set.
Yep, no luck here and I don't know what else I could do :/

Hopefully someone here can me help!
Thanks and have a nice day
Gumminerd
Hi guys,

in case someone is searching for this here is my solution so far.
Actually I do not know if this works in any scenario, but in the end with the help of a coworker I've got a texture exported.

This is what I did:

Take the curve output and promte the vertex normals to point normals.
In my case the root does not had any normals to work with, so I used a polyframe node to fix this.
Blast every point, expect the first one of each curve. Added a hierarchy attribute like seen a post above (yep, hierarchy was written wrong there) and inverted some normals. The last step may does not apply to you. The last step is to add the name root to point 0. Done.

The wrangle node on the right contains the same like the one on the right.
Maybe it's helpful for someone.
TRex92
I've also tried to get this to work with no luck. Has anyone else had any success?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.