Search - User list
Full Version: assign material: difference between geometry and mesh
Root » Solaris and Karma » assign material: difference between geometry and mesh
Mark Wallman
Hi. on the assignmaterial LOP in Solaris you can change the primitive to geometry or mesh amongst others. What is the difference between geometry and mesh. I was to tag geometry meshes (pols, sub-d etc. Is one preferred over the other?

EDIT: is seems MESH tags poly/subd data, but I still do not really understand what the difference in definition is.

Best

Mark
jsmack
It looks like "Geometry" is a shortcut for all prims that inherit from the UsdGeomBoundable schema and Mesh is from UsdGeomMesh. I'm fairly certain Mesh is a subset of boundable, however I'm not sure if boundable is a subset of gprim or the otherway around.
mtucker
"Geometry" would include curves, points, cubes, spheres... The reason "Geometry" uses UsdGeomBoundable is to capture point instancers (which are boundable, but are not gprims). If you go to https://graphics.pixar.com/usd/docs/api/class_usd_geom_boundable.html [graphics.pixar.com] and click on the "Inheritance Diagram for UsdGeomBuondable" it shows a nice graphical representation of the schema inheritance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.