Search - User list
Full Version: Setting environment map color space
Root » Houdini Lounge » Setting environment map color space
midorisalt
Hello!!

Just wondering if anyone knows how to set the color space of the environment map I've loaded into an environment light node? I am using ACES with an OCIO system variable. And the environment map does not look correct, it's too dark.
jsmack
midorisalt
Hello!!

Just wondering if anyone knows how to set the color space of the environment map I've loaded into an environment light node? I am using ACES with an OCIO system variable. And the environment map does not look correct, it's too dark.

I think you'll have to convert it beforehand using composite nodes in houdini, ocioconvert or oiiotool, or some other software.
midorisalt
jsmack
midorisalt
Hello!!

I think you'll have to convert it beforehand using composite nodes in houdini, ocioconvert or oiiotool, or some other software.

Okay thank you that lead me in the right direction! I found more info in this thread: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/61397/?page=1#post-273799 [www.sidefx.com]

Colors look correct now when comparing to reference... that's great but man that's complicated just for setting the color space of one image... :S
jsmack
midorisalt
Colors look correct now when comparing to reference... that's great but man that's complicated just for setting the color space of one image... :S

It's standard practice to transform all input colors to the working colorspace before consumption. The use of filename tokens to allow for automatic conversion is another option, except in the case of environment lights--it doesn't seem to be implemented here.
midorisalt
jsmack
It's standard practice to transform all input colors to the working colorspace before consumption.

I'm sure but it's a lot more convenient just to change it in the program.

The file naming sounds good though. Do you know what kind of format is expected? Is there a reference somewhere?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.