Search - User list
Full Version: How to export multiple animation clips to a glTF?
Root » Technical Discussion » How to export multiple animation clips to a glTF?
raincole
I'm checking ROP GLTF Character Output [www.sidefx.com] and I'm not so sure if I get it. It looks like has only one clip (Clip Range parameter). But I'm pretty sure GLTF supports multiple clips in a file. For example that's how Godot engine imports its character animations.

So how to export multiple clips from Houdini?
Doff-st
Same question.
mestela
Last I checked you can't. We ended up pushing fbx's over to blender, and publishing gltf with multiple clips there.

Very frustrating.
joshmotion
bump, anyone figure out how to get multiple clips in one glTF?
tachbek
Houdini has growing but pretty limited and sometimes bugged support for complex GLTF files.
For now, as for me, most stable solution is to use Houdini + Blender.
You can export your scene as a several GLTF (GLB) files from Houdini, then import, clean up (duplicated tex etc.) and export from Blender (Blender preserves GLTF specific information). Or use dedup GLTF python libs.
For example, I can export all files from TOPnet and call "shell" node to run background Blender instance + python script.
Folder, fps, frame range and other parameters passed as arguments (argv = sys.argv staff).
I mean Blender even don't show up on the screen.
I don't work in Blender and this maybe not good instruction
1."ROP GLTF Output" has "Animation Name" field. Save each animation in separate file.
2.Import in Blender.
3.Animation layout, left screen border near middle where "dope sheet", click and find "Nonlinear Animation" (NLA Editor)
4.You need to copy (add - add action strip or Shift A) animation track (You can search How to copy an action strip from one object to another)
5.Delete all object, don't touch only the chosen one
6.Export
I just now tried this and it works. I guess You can convert this to python script by browsing Blender python documentation.
kodra
Bump this.
edward
Please log your requests into support to bump this.
joshmotion
Hi all, I finally cracked this. You gotta pack each animation, add a primitive string attribute with the clip's name, then enable "Multiple Clips" in the "Animated Pose Export" setting in the ROP GLTF Character Output SOP node, and fill in whatever your Clip Name Attribute is listed as. Then all clips import into Blender's NLA timeline nicely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.