How to get motion blur on fbx data?

4494   4   0
7 posts
Hi!

I'm quite new in Houdini and I have to learn a lot, but to be honest after spending 10 years in maya now I can smell some fresh air …

I thought that the best way to learn a software is try it in a free time project. One of my friends is actually an animator who uses maya. He is working on his new animation contest and asked me if I could help him to light and render out his work. I decided that this time I would use Houdini instead of Maya.

I created geoCache from the maya animation and exported it into FBX format, than imported it into Houdini. Now everything is fine but the problem is that I can't get the motion blur work on the character. I've already turned on the magic Geometry Velocity Blur option on every single object but it didn't work… My mantra render node is also prepared to render motion blur, but it seams I missed something

I really appreciated if somebody could help me.
862 posts
Check if there are actually v vectors, and that they are on points.

If not and if the pointcount is constant (aha!) use the trail sop set to “compute velocity”.

Sometimes that gives weird results and you could use a timeshift sop to calculate the position displacement vectors instead and use them as v.

Make sure the vectors are big enough. Scale if necessary.
--
Jobless
7 posts
Thank you Soothsayer your fast reply. With your help I can finally managed to get motion blur on one of my objects.

I attached a picture as you can see below. This is an other fbx import with vertex cache on simple poly cubes. My problem is that I have to create a trail node for each vertex_cache node. Is there a way to do that automatically? Or could I collect all cache nodes into a single group? Because on my character there are lots of geometries with cache data. I'm sure about that there is a convenient way in houdini to do that

Thank you your help again!

Attachments:
houdiniQuestion.jpg (28.9 KB)

8619 posts
if you have pointcache that means that your point count is constant and thus you don't need to use velocity motion blur, so don't check it on object
the deformation mblur will be used automatically, just set Geo Time samples on mantra greater than 1
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
7 posts
Finally I got it to work

Thank you your help!
  • Quick Links