UT_NetPacket::read: No such file or directory

12751   11   2
14 posts
Hi,

every time i make a Mantra render i get this error UT_NetPacket::read: No such file or directory at the 95%.
I using houdini 10.0 master, with a network license server.I tried the current stable version and also the latest daily build.

My os is Windows xp64 with 16gb of ram.
I will also attach my scene…

Thanks
Sergio

Attachments:
grain.hip (157.9 KB)

951 posts
I am having the same error, can anyone help?
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
7734 posts
The file works for me when I just click on the /out/mantra1 Render button.
951 posts
Thanks for the feedback.

I´ll assume that must be something going on on my installation or something on my system, I am really having problems no matter if it is a file from scratch or not, it is always crashing for some reason.

Anyway thanks for the feedback and if you got any more ideas I would appreciate it.
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
32 posts
I run into this problem a lot myself. On windows xp 32, windows vista 64, and windows 7 64, on 2 separate computers with different hardware. It happens in every version that I have tried all the way from 9.5.xxx to 10.0.595, and I update very frequently. Doesn't matter if I click render->start render->mantra 1 in the top menu or if i actually go to out/mantra1 and click the render button, the odds of the error showing up are the same either way

Its annoying because the whole frame renders fine except it leaves the very top left edge unrendered on like 80% of the frames, so that area just kinda flickers in any movie.

I am a total Houdini noob, and a 3d noob for that matter. However in my experience over the last year trying to teach myself this program, I have found that Houdini doesn't seem to like windows very much sometimes. Although I suppose that can be said about many programs.

Yet when I use Houdini in Linux, I never get the “UT_NetPacket::read: No such file or directory” error, and Houdini almost never crashes unless I do something stupid. Houdini even loads faster, renders faster, and sims faster under Linux for me - by a very significant margin. The only problem it seems to have in Ubuntu 64 is that I cant use Compiz Fusion with Houdini running, so I lose my wobbly windows and other desktop effects.
94 posts
hi clown,

have you checked your “firetrap” under windows, to allow hmaster and mplay to send and receive packets?

Thats the most common cause of trouble with non-mature operating systems.
If you can't script/program it, it's no good at all !
32 posts
Ok, it looks like you were correct. I went into Comodo and manually specified hmaster and mplay as trusted applications, and loaded up the scene file in this thread again, and it seems to actually render the whole frame now. Kind of interesting that turning all of Comodos moduals didnt fix it but defining the trusted applications did.

mplay also loaded quite a bit faster than usual, so im gunna have to play around a bit and see if performance has increased

thanks alot!!! (I dunno why I didn't think of that, Comodo causes me so much greif sometimes in other programs)
12490 posts
http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#Running_Houdini [odforce.net]
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
94 posts
Yes it is the firewall I was talking about. It was my problem when I first installed houdini. Though I cannot recall if it was the same as you describe it, it has been months ago.

Sorry, if that does not help you…
32 posts
Weird, I've seen faqs on odforce before, but I've never seen that one. Sure woulda been helpful lol

thanks for the useful link!
94 posts
clown
Ok, it looks like you were correct. I went into Comodo and manually specified hmaster and mplay as trusted applications, and loaded up the scene file in this thread again, and it seems to actually render the whole frame now. Kind of interesting that turning all of Comodos moduals didnt fix it but defining the trusted applications did.

So you get a clue, why I called it “firetrap” ??

*hehe* To me it has become obvious to first suspect the firewall, if anything network related does not work as it should be…

Ozzy Osbourne: “They couldn't see what I thought would be the obvious..” (Rock'n'Roll Rebel)
7734 posts
I've added Comodo to:
http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/IncompatibleSoftware [odforce.net]
  • Quick Links