How can I change Houdini axis sequence from XZY to XYZ?

506   4   0
2 posts
I am coming from CAD modeling.
I notice in Geometry - Transform - Translate the second parameter Y controls up and down movement. Can I make it "In and Out" rather than "Up and Down". So, I like to change it function with the third parameter-Z.

Thank you!

Attachments:
屏幕截图 2024-03-25 050811.png (61.7 KB)

8554 posts
Edit/Preferences/3D Viewports/Orientation/Z UP
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
24 posts
mearisori
I am coming from CAD modeling.
I notice in Geometry - Transform - Translate the second parameter Y controls up and down movement. Can I make it "In and Out" rather than "Up and Down". So, I like to change it function with the third parameter-Z.

Thank you!

I can´t parse your sentence, but if you mean to ask whether the axis Z can be used for Up,then yes
In Edit / Preferences / 3d Viewport / Orientation / you can choose Z-up instead of the default Y-Up
2 posts
Thank you very much all!
Yes, all I need to do is just change the UP axis in the viewport preference.
9 posts
I'm also someone who prefers Z axis as "up"... it seems more intuitive to consider the XY plane as flatland (or as someone living on a sphere, the "ground" plane to be X and Y in the compass directions and Z to be my altitude) and matches what I'd expect from my years in multivariate calculus (although axis labels are admittedly arbitrary). That said I'm probably going to change it back to use Y as up and just make myself relearn things, because if you do this you'll still hit a ton of the shelf items that default to Y as the up / down axis at least partially and can't be fixed by a simple rotation (bonfire, ocean shore) or any obvious settings (bonfire still has a messed up axis after fixing gravity for example, and will look more like a stove flame, but by default it'll create a flat flame along X... the ocean sim will rotate both the water and the shore geometry so it's a mess to dive in and try to get everything fixed) and things like karma dome lights and geometry created in the stage context will be rotated by 90 degrees... Less noticable parameters of other simulated items might also suffer from this and cause mismatches. Same happens when loading scenes created the other way around. It makes things painful to work with if you're trying to build on any preset items.

Some things are fine after changing the up axis but the number that aren't, especially while trying to learn the software, make it more difficult than necessary. The simulations are much easier to learn setups for by creating the shelf preset version and examining the node tree than by fumbling around trying to do it from scratch.
  • Quick Links