Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini 16 vertex animation import for UE4
Root » Houdini Engine for Unreal » Houdini 16 vertex animation import for UE4
limbicnation
mikelyndon-sesi
And it's live! Download the shaders from GitHub - https://github.com/sideeffects/GameDevelopmentToolset/tree/Development [github.com]
And there's a basic setup tutorial here - https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/unity-shaders-for-vertex-animation-export-tools/ [www.sidefx.com]
If you run into any problems let me know.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Any chance you can share the shader forge code to this particular approach? Thanks!
Nsong
Hi,
I'm trying to use the vertex animation textures on a cloth sim that has been exported from maya as an alembic cache. The results are exploding stretching verts. In houdini I have the alembic loaded as Unpack Alembic. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Na
mikelyndon-sesi
So some basic things to check:
Are you using the latest version of the tool from the development branch of Github?
Make sure you've turned off “remove degenerates” for the mesh when importing
In the details panel of the mesh turn on “Use full precision UV's” and set distance field resolution to 0. Don't forget to hit apply changes or the settings won't stick.

Mike
Nsong
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick response! I'm using the latest version of the tool and remove degenerates and full precision UVs and are all on. Distance field is also at 0. When I test a simple cloth sim from Houdini it works fine. Only when I use an imported alembic animation in Houdini does the tool go crazy. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!
Na
mikelyndon-sesi
Can you post a simple hip file as well as an alembic file?
Nsong
Hi Mike,

I've attached the files. Thanks so much for the help!

Cheers,
Na
mikelyndon-sesi
At first glance I think part of the problem is the scale. Try and scale down your geometry by 100 or even a 1000 and try exporting that. You're probably running into precision issues.
Nsong
I've tried scaling it down by 1000 and it looks a touch better, but still the same issues:
Airship
Wow guys - I just got this (fluids) working in UE4 and I'm speechless. Having always been limited by the consistent vert index/topology limitation, being able to output tearing fluids is just bonkers. Thank you!

Indie-Pixel
Howdy everyone, I am wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to export particles from houdini into Unity using the vertex animation rop. I'm not sure which node I use for the bake. Thanks so much!
vyudin
Hi there!

Can you advise me please why I am getting this, “shattered” fluid mesh in UE?



Is that something wrong in export from Houdini?

Is that something wrong in fbx import parameters?

Is that something wrong in my UE shader?

This is my exported fbx and textures: https://www.dropbox.com/s/scq62n3irznhubt/exportFromHOU.zip?dl=0 [www.dropbox.com]

This is my UE map with shattered fluid pig: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jw2ji5zx302ce28/FluidPig_shattered.zip?dl=0 [www.dropbox.com]

This is render from Houdini parameters:



Sure, I can provide entire houdini .hip scene and caches.

Thank you in advance!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.