Search - User list
Full Version: Texture/Mask/Displacement Painting HDA, WIP
Root » 3rd Party » Texture/Mask/Displacement Painting HDA, WIP
Bennell
Would this help? https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/face-it-will-gemini-man/ [www.fxguide.com]
Wout Tengrootenhuysen
Oh yes, very impressive work right there. I feel like that's a whole other type of development though. For now, I'll put it on the maybe pile
Bennell
What do you think of adding something like this to your scales workflow?
Wout Tengrootenhuysen
yes, thats definitely something in the works !
Bennell
You mentioned issues rendering a large number of scales. Have you considered turning them into primitives? https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/model/primitives.html [www.sidefx.com]
Wout Tengrootenhuysen
Hey Bennel,

what do you mean exactly ?
Bennell
I mean turning them into lightweight geometry.
Wout Tengrootenhuysen
Right, I see, but that happens after, so that won't speed up the geo creation process
Bennell
Oh. I hope you'll come up with something.
Wout Tengrootenhuysen
Thanks ! I'm looking intto opencl and using that to speed things up I already have the opencl speed gain with the smoothing part of the sculpt tool. If I can get my head wrapped around the whole opencl thing, I might be able to speed a lot of other things up, intersections, finding nearpoints, etc..

Performance isn't bad btw, it just drops to about 10-15 fps with a lot of scales. I'd like it to be as smooth as possible
Bennell
How's it going with the opencl?
Wout Tengrootenhuysen
Hi Bennell,

haven't looked into yet lately, I'm doing some commissioned work at the moment
Bennell
Would this paper help you in developing your HDA when you're back to working on it?
Wout Tengrootenhuysen
Perhaps, I'm a little out of it at the moment, Let's see when I get back into it
Bennell
What about using subdivision surfaces for smaller scales and render them as scales using displacement at rendertime?
Wout Tengrootenhuysen
Maybe, yes, thing is, I do my rendering in Octane, so I'm not familiar with Mantra..
Bennell
I read about rendering subdivision surfaces with displacement from the RepTile paper I gave you and a paper about procedural mosaic arrangement. It describes a vector shader used for geometric tiles. Would perturbing normals be possible for your HDA?
Wout Tengrootenhuysen
I have thought about shaders / Octane OSL because doing things like this on the GPU would give a lot of possibilities and speed improvements but it is a different approach entirely. So another one for the maybe pile
Wout Tengrootenhuysen
Yes yes yes, super cool. I had a moment of inspiration an decided to try a completely new approach. Instead of creating the geo and then finding the intersections ( which works but is too slow for my liking) I am now actually growing the scales which gives very nice and beautiful results and on top of that it is much faster !! Yaaaaaaaaay
Bennell
Great! Can you show that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.