Search - User list
Full Version: Quickly toggle Display flag between two nodes? (H19)
Root » Houdini Lounge » Quickly toggle Display flag between two nodes? (H19)
raincole
I read this:

1 and 2 to update display and render flags
I use this all the time, I think a hangover from using nuke too much. With the current node selected, hit 1 to set its display flag to here, 2 to set its render flag. This is often much faster than trying to hit that tiny blue rectangle.

Hitting 1 repeatedly cycles between the selected node and the last created node, handy for doing a quick comparisons (analogous to nuke and setting 1 to a node, 2 to another, and tapping 1 2 1 2 to compare them)

In H16 these 1 and 2 hotkeys have been replaced with R and E.

from https://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=HoudiniUserInterfaceTips#customise_right_click_menus [www.tokeru.com]

But neither works for me. 1 and 2 are quickjump. R and E do toggle flags, but the way they work is completely different from what CGWiki describes. R activates a "flag toggle mode" and I have to click the node after.

What I'd like is the exact behaviour CGWiki describes:

With the current node selected, hit _ to set its display flag to here

and

Hitting _ repeatedly cycles between the selected node and the last created node, handy for doing a quick comparisons

is it possible in H19?
jsmack
I just use undo/redo for this. It's not ideal but it works.
mestela
Yeah the behavior of nodes and display flags changed substantially when the Houdini got a revamp of the node editor. I should go and take those sections out of the wiki, sorry 'bout that.
ikoon
Maybe this might help?

https://lex.ikoon.cz/network-editor-remember-the-previously-flagged-node-and-unflag-to-it/ [lex.ikoon.cz]

It is poor man's script, but works for me.
animatrix_
I want to implement something like this also. It's definitely very useful, like in Nuke, as well as the ability to pin multiple nodes in parameters pane on demand unlike Nuke where they are always visible.

There are a lot of UX like this that can really help Houdini.
tamte
raincole
R and E do toggle flags, but the way they work is completely different from what CGWiki describes. R activates a "flag toggle mode" and I have to click the node after.
I believe by default they should work on selected nodes, if not just make sure Preferences/NetworkEditor/FlagHotkeysWorkOnSelectedNodes is checked

also to toggle between 2 nodes, just select 2 nodes and hit R repeatedly, it will swap display flag between them
or T for render flag
flags that can be set on multiple nodes simultaneously like template E or bypass Q will toggle them on all selected nodes together
raincole
tamte
also to toggle between 2 nodes, just select 2 nodes and hit R repeatedly, it will swap display flag between them
or T for render flag
flags that can be set on multiple nodes simultaneously like template E or bypass Q will toggle them on all selected nodes together

Oh thank you very much. That's an extremely useful trick!
mestela
Oh brilliant! Going straight to the wiki...
sdugaro
cool! ... but be sure your mouse pointer is in a network view and you don't accidentally hit R while you're mouse has viewport focus... heh, this tripped me for a second between two null nodes... I didn't see any handles or notice the viewer state flipped to rotation mode so I was seeing onion skinning instead
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.