Search - User list
Full Version: Access Maya custom attributes inside Houdini
Root » Houdini Engine for Maya » Access Maya custom attributes inside Houdini
anon_user_60456774
Hi,

I need to pass several meshes as inputs into the HDA that will be split depending on their value of a primitive attribute (let's call it "name") inside Houdini, but I can't manage to pass attributes from Maya to Houdini.

I tried to add custom Maya attribute and it works as long as I export the geometry (fbx) and import it directly in Houdini, but it won't work using the Houdini Engine.

Is it possible, and if so how can I do?

Thank you for your time.
johnmather
Unfortunately at the moment you cannot pass arbitrary Maya attributes into Houdini through the plugin.

I have created RFE #122409 to track this.
anon_user_60456774
Thank you for your answer!

Is there another way to split all input meshes in Houdini then? Here [www.sidefx.com] I saw that sets were converted into Houdini groups but I couldn't make it work.

EDIT : I found that names were converted to Houdini attributes, so this might be a solution, even though it's far from perfect.
johnmather
Would it be possible to attach your HDA and a sample Maya file? If you can't attach it here, please send it to support@sidefx.com
anon_user_60456774
Basically we can summarize the problem with this :
  • A HDA with a simple Split sop in it, with a test like @attr=A, with its input linked to the HDA input, and its output linked to HDA output.
  • A Maya scene with objects with an attribute "attr" that can be either A or B.

The goal would then be to pass all objects of the scene as input in the HDA, and that the output only shows objects with attr set to A. I can create the HDA and Maya scene if you need me to.

Obviously its a simplified version but this is the core of my problem : being able by one way or the other to split inputs of HDA depending on some attributes (that may be of different types, like strings or int).

As I said, I use the name of the objects for now which works well but it's not optimal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.