TwoState Constraint Relationship node not working correctly?

1650   0   0
14 posts
Hello!

In my scene I want to break a pin constraint when a certain force property value gets crossed. Unfortunately, the pin constraint doesn`t provide controls for that. So I took a look at the spring constraint, which does just that by using the “Two State Constraint Relationship” node - switching from a “spring relationship” to “no relationship” as soon as a force threshold gets passed.

So I rebuilt that using a “hard constraint relationship” node instead of the “spring relationship” node. And here is my problem:

When using the hard constraint node the force property is always set to zero, so it can never “break”. Is this a bug or am I missing the obvious? It definitly should work as this is from the docs of the “constraint relationship” node:

Two State Constraint

Acts as a hard constraint until certain forces are met, then acts like a spring constraint.

The constraint switches between a hard and a spring constraint based on the motion of the constrained object:

When the constraint is hard, if the “pull” of the object goes beyond the Two State Max Force value, the hard constraint will “let go” and turn into a spring constraint.

When the constraint is a spring, if the object gets within the Two State Min Distance of the goal, the spring will turn into a hard constraint.

Two State Max Force

Sets the force threshold for changing a two state constraint from the hard constraint state to the spring constraint state.

The quoted letting go never happens, only the “from spring to hard constraint” part works.

I have attached a simple example scene using the “constraint relationship” node to switch from hard to spring constraint and back with only the spring to hard part working.

Thanks!

Attachments:
twostate_hard_to_spring_not_working.hipnc (190.7 KB)

• Quick Links