Need some light in the world of "HDK"

1996   2   0
15 posts
Hey, guys,

Nice day!

I am a newbie in the world HDK but I still want to have some adventures here, so need your light and help.

Basically, what I want is to iterate via big amount of point clouds and do some geometry operation for each point in houdini in really fast way (Maybe realtime).

1.My assumption is I could replace the contents and functions of any geometry node, in this case “Foreach” SOP by HDK codes and performs much much faster, am I right?

2.If not so, Is it possible to feed the point clouds via HDK to another API like CUDA to perform parallel computation of “resample” and “delete” alike geometry operation for each point in the points cloud ?

I need your invaluable advice about these HDK stuff.

Thanks,
kind regards.
98 posts
did you consider vex for iterating over the points of a pointcloud ? It's very fast when it comes to points because of it's SIMD nature.

I haven't done alot with the hdk but I don't think that you can change the behaviour of the existing geometry nodes . But calling an external api like cuda or opencl from hdk is doable. If you are doing alot of work with pointclouds you might also consider pcl http://pointclouds.org/ [pointclouds.org]
15 posts
Thanks for help Yep, i have considered using vex, but the problem here is I can iterate through point clouds but cannot do some geometry operation inside vops, like delete, resample, so this is the reason why I want to refer to HDK because foreach sop is so slow.
  • Quick Links