Modeling and Rigging a flower

5671   2   2
7 posts
Alloo Alloo,

Im trying to model a flower…which in houdini is easy enough …but I am wondering if anyone here have advice on how I should model this flower in order to rig it so that it can bloom:

http://www.hdwallpapersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Pink_water_lily.jpg [hdwallpapersdepot.com]

What I have is one petal that is copied around a center pivot with a simple sphere in the middle. I was just planning on using a bend deformer and animate its phase.

Does anyone have advice on how I can do this more realistically so that each petal opens a little differently, or have different bends and twists?

any advice would be great!!

thanks
- (ニック)
197 posts
I'd give LSystem's a go, create a rule for the flower, and you can copy the petal with J, in the rules, you plug the geometry into the first input and it will be copied, you could than control generations with CHOPS, and have really nice control over it. Hint: You can use multiple types of copied geometry, as lsystems have 3 inputs for this, and you can like the copy sop use the Stamp function (stamp(“../lsystem1”,“lsys”,0) <Think that's it>, to get random change in your copy's. If you post a Hip, I'll show you.
696 posts
Hi,

It all depends on your shot. For speed of implementation I would do copy/stamping. Take a look at the Copy SOP, you can start simple and add variation with expressions, even some CHOPs.

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
  • Quick Links