model from image (procedurally)

8598   14   4
2 posts
Hello!

I have a quick question. I have no idea how I would start to solve this problem.

I want to make a 3d model of several floorplans.

I would like to use a procedural approach for this and create a HDA. If done right I would only need to do one floor and then can pipe into the HDA the floor plan of the other floors and should be able to generate them for you.

The image input would be something like this.

http://ceae.colorado.edu/~brandem/pub/MapOffice.gif [ceae.colorado.edu]

Any idea what tools in houdini I could use?

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate it

-Jose
383 posts
You can try to extract certain layers in COP for example with simple threshholding and use the trace sop to create geometry.
But for more complex things in the plan you will need something like opencv in python COP to extract more features of your floor plan.
www.woogieworks.at
30 posts
Hi

so cmi has city generator tutorials and they use maps to generate the building. If you are interested i do have a copy.
mpejak
390 posts
milospejak
Hi

so cmi has city generator tutorials and they use maps to generate the building. If you are interested i do have a copy.

Attachments:
pirates.JPG (59.0 KB)

197 posts
zdimaria
milospejak
Hi

+1.
383 posts
Delight0092
zdimaria
milospejak
Hi

+1.

Thanks for your offer, but I do have an annual subscription at cmivfx !! :-)
thanks for the hint.
www.woogieworks.at
30 posts
first of zak, funny! second its a legit copy

oh and dulo let us know what you come up with cause im sure we'd all love to see what your solutions is
mpejak
30 posts
sorry, not dulo

i meant saks_27
mpejak
390 posts
milospejak
first of zak, funny!

383 posts
milospejak
first of zak, funny! second its a legit copy

oh and dulo let us know what you come up with cause im sure we'd all love to see what your solutions is

At the moment I am working on a reasearch project which is not too different. We are trying to find cancer tissue in mrt/ct scans and match those scans with refernce organs to determine location and volume .. of course in Houdini ..
I will try to openly publish as much of the houdini side as possible in the Q1 of 2013
Most of the work is done in python, numpy, scipy and vtk and houdini is used for mesh, volume and vectorfield manipulation and visualization.
I am shure many parts could be ported to VEX/VOP but at the moment I lack time and knowledge for this task ..
www.woogieworks.at
606 posts
dulo
At the moment I am working on a reasearch project which is not too different. We are trying to find cancer tissue in mrt/ct scans and match those scans with refernce organs to determine location and volume .. of course in Houdini ..

Wow, that sounds mighty interesting, hopefully you can reveal details later.

Having worked mostly in advertising, it would be nice to do something that's actually improving the human condition instead of debasing it
383 posts
eetu
dulo

Wow, that sounds mighty interesting, hopefully you can reveal details later.

Having worked mostly in advertising, it would be nice to do something that's actually improving the human condition instead of debasing it

Funny thing is that we do this kind of Software Development / Med. Image Processing Stuff to fund our own advertising business …
www.woogieworks.at
2 posts
Hey guys.

Wow I didn't notice all these answers. Sorry for not getting back. I guess I didn't turn on email notifications.

I ended up changing the image a little in PS. making the walls black and the rest white. Then I just used a trace SOP and a extrude SOP. Really easy but it took me so long to figure out. Loving Houdini though

Thanks for all the informative answers!

Oh, also if you try this you might have to turn on “make holes” in the trace SOP filters. :wink:
696 posts
milospejak
second its a legit copy

Legitimate copy or not, it's your copy and if you read the license agreement you'd see you're not authorized to distribute…
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
390 posts
boom!
  • Quick Links